Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Just Scrapped out My First HVAC install From 1982

JUGHNE
JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
We did a house remodel into a duplex in 1981....terrible time to borrow money BTY.

The standing pilot furnaces were Tappan when it was a stand alone company.
They were probably oversized by a factor of 2....but then who knew??

The AC units were a year later and one was Tappan/Fridge king brand and one was SJC company, (Smith and Jones....sounds fly by night doesn't it).
They were identical other than the name tags.

Eventually the Tappan name was absorbed into the Nordyne line, along with about 6 other old school name brands, in the race to the bottom.

They were great for a novice such as myself for install.
5/8" and 1/4" flare fittings inside and out.
Instructions said to pressure test with R-22 and then to flush the lines with R-22 3X to get rid of any air. Then open the service valves.
R-22 was a little over a dollar a pound.

They were 14,000 BTUH AC. More than adequate for 750 sq ft apartments.
Something that would be handy today for small apartments.
They had actual commercial type service valves inside the unit.
Still original contactor, run caps, fan motor and compressor.
I do not recall replacing any parts.

These were a up draft condenser with the fins bare to the world.
Insurance replaced them because of hail damage.
Were both in operation when replaced with 1 1/2 Ton units.

No idea of the efficiency of the old units.
Capillary tubes..... SEER had not been invented yet.
But new current draw is about 1/2 of old.

But we all know the new will not make it 40 years.

Some years ago we remodeled the duplex back to a 3 bed rm house and then sold it.

This change out will be the first time in 40 years that someone else will actually write me a check for working on this place. :)

ratiokcoppSTEVEusaPAPC7060CanuckerHomerJSmithSolid_Fuel_ManAlan (California Radiant) ForbesEdTheHeaterMan

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    Makes the both of us old. It's funny. Jobs change, contractors change but the buildings remain.

In my 46 years in the business, I worked for 4 different contractors and had my own business for a while. All these contractors were within a 10-mile radius. Sooner or later, you would circle back to a building that you did a job in 30 or 40 years ago.

I am sure some of the equipment I installed has been replaced 2 or 3 times maybe more.

That is one thing that bothered me the last 10 years or so, we used to replace boilers after 30 or 40 years old. Now it's 10-15-20 years
  • JUGHNE
    I have at least 6 systems running from the mid 90's.
    They are Heil brand 2 ton AC's with 80%+ NG furnaces.
    They just keep on working, even with the HW "Smart" valves.
    Also a few Rheem systems from the late 80's.

I did find the invoice for the Tappan system.
    I would guess it is safe to state the prices as the time capsule has been opened.
    The CM14 condensing units were $357.35 each.
    The UG-80D13 furnaces were $241.37 each.
    3" PVC was .68 per foot.

So now I can shred this paper and thin down the files.

The only reason to keep these records this long is to show expenses to avoid capital gains etc.
    The house is sold and a done deal.
    PC7060
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    I'm shocked, shocked that it didn't last longer. Where has quality gone???
    Dave in QCA
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Even low end equipment was good back then
  • JUGHNE
    The system was running when removed.
    The insurance company totaled out the system after a hail storm.

These were face up condensers with only 1/4" hail screen lying right on the top of the fins.

IDK if it was considered low end at the time, perhaps middle of the road.

That $357 was 1981 dollars BTW.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @JUGHNE

Remember when a simple 60–100-amp service change done as a side job on a Saturday morning was $500-$550? A simple boiler or furnace change out was $1500-$2000 and smokes were $.30/pack, draft beer at the local spot was $.25 for the cheap stuff and $.35 if you wanted Bud.
    Alan (California Radiant) ForbesDave in QCAbucksnortEdTheHeaterMan
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    Just upgraded my service from 100amp to 200amp about 6 months ago. It was NOT $500. Lol not even close. 
  • JUGHNE
    My daughter just had her 200 amp FPE panel replaced for just under 2 G's.
    All electric house, furnace and heat pump.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited July 2022
    JakeCK said:
    Just upgraded my service from 100amp to 200amp about 6 months ago. It was NOT $500. Lol not even close. 
    Why?

Was 100A not enough?
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • JakeCK
    edited July 2022
    Electric stove, electric hybrid water heater, adding a 100amp sub in my detached garage and plan on having at least one level 2 EV charger, want to add an air to water heat pump both for heating and cooling, and last I'm looking at going with a heat pump dryer at some point.

Also have a couple small server cabinets in the basement. And since I was already adding solar it was the perfect opportunity.

Edit: I was also out of space in my 20 circuit panel, it did not accept mini breakers and didn't have a listed interlock kit for a generator. 
    PC7060
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,631
    Mini breakers vs tandem breakers? so it was a ge?
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • JakeCK
    edited July 2022
    Yes ge powermark gold 100amp 20 circuit, and the minis not tandems.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited July 2022
    Level II changer is 32A at 240V correct?
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • JakeCK
    I thought 40amp, but yes 240v.
  • ChrisUNY
    ChrisUNY Member Posts: 6
    JakeCK said:

I thought 40amp, but yes 240v.

I have a Tesla Charger (48amps) but If I were planning for newer trucks etc I would go at least 100amp. (Ford Lightning Pro is 80amp so 80% NEC)
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,669

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,829
    I remember when I replaced the first boiler I installed. I was working for my fathers company when I installed it. After we got out of that business, I worked for 3 other companies over the next 5 years until I started up my second business to help a former competitor out of a jam. (His service man purchased an oil truck and told the customers that he would not do service unless they purchased his oil). That is when I was welcomed back by many of my former customers and continued to service the old accounts my fathers company had in South Jersey, along with the customers of the Friendly former competitor. (I didn't have an oil truck anymore)

Then I closed that company after 10 years or so... The company that purchased my customers stopped servicing oil heat in Cape May County 5 years after that, and my friend called again with the same request, "I need someone to service my customers". Again I started up an new HVAC business for another 15 years and retired from that. It was during that last HVAC business that Mrs. Flounders called me to continue doing service on that Columbia Boiler from the 1980s. Boy did I feel old when I had to tell her that it needed to be replaced. Up til then, I had replaced boilers that other people installed. Those other people were all much older than me. Or at least I thought so!

Funny how you think about your own work, and how long it has lasted for many of your customers.

Mr. Ed
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    ratioSolid_Fuel_Manmattmia2PC7060
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @EdTheHeaterMan

I still think all the equipment I installed in the 80s is brand new
    PC7060EdTheHeaterMan
  • markdelzell
    markdelzell Member Posts: 11
    I have only replaced one boiler that was younger than I am. I'm 60 years old.