Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

time for a new ac - inverter or not

Options
2»

Comments

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    edited June 2022
    Options
    pecmsg said:

A google search brings a lot of hits!
    Try buying one or getting information.

Spacepac seems to have something ... the guy I know who does them was not any help (just for information)

Buying a one off from Europe is a good way to have an expensive paperweight in a few years ..
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options
    Heat pump water heaters for domestic water are readily available. 

For heating I know of nothing to replace 180* fossil fuel. 140* is possible, is there a return on investment?

• TAG
    Options
    pecmsg said:

Heat pump water heaters for domestic water are readily available. 

For heating I know of nothing to replace 180* fossil fuel. 140* is possible, is there a return on investment?

Was referring to air to water for hydronic heat
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    Tag a few issues with Bosch BOVA but all fine- we’ve installed 40’or 50. Carrier Greenspeed- we installed 12 or 15- had to replace one compressor.  I also have one older couple complaining about a BOVA outside their bedroom window (20 year old ac was in the same spot) 
    my comments were really more on the German car front- but I think there are some similarities. With an inverter system, once the warranty is up, repairs could really cost some dough- Possibly thousands of dollars
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • TAG
    Options
    GW said:

Tag a few issues with Bosch BOVA but all fine- we’ve installed 40’or 50. Carrier Greenspeed- we installed 12 or 15- had to replace one compressor.  I also have one older couple complaining about a BOVA outside their bedroom window (20 year old ac was in the same spot) 
    my comments were really more on the German car front- but I think there are some similarities. With an inverter system, once the warranty is up, repairs could really cost some dough- Possibly thousands of dollars

My brother did two of the Bosch units when he moved to SC a couple years ago as a retrofit -- his existing condensers were in bad shape -- interesting units.

I did find the high pitch noise annoying with the Greenspeed .. don't know if they ever fixed it with the scroll compressor. The Carrier 5 speed is nearly silent -- I have to walk up to them to make sure they are running. Even in HP on top speed they don't make much noise ... nothing I can hear through a window.
  • Larry (from OSHA)
    Larry (from OSHA) Member Posts: 717
    Options
    I’m taking the plunge on the Bryant Evolution inverter system. Serious overkill for sure but it’s getting hotter and more humid here in Minneapolis. Now I can say both my heating and cooling systems are modulating and condensing. :)

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it. The installer has a good reputation and had all the right answers along with factory trained people.

GW - I totally get the German car comparison. I drove Audi for many years.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    @Larry (from OSHA)

Pulling the air through the coil is usually preferred and most air handlers used to be made that way. If air is pulled through the coil, you get better air distribution across the coil.

The air flow can be converted without issue if the installer follows all the steps.

With a pull through air handler hang it high enough to leave plenty of room for a trap. You don't want to bury the trap in the floor joists
  • TAG
    edited July 2022
    Options

I’m taking the plunge on the Bryant Evolution inverter system. Serious overkill for sure but it’s getting hotter and more humid here in Minneapolis. Now I can say both my heating and cooling systems are modulating and condensing. :)

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it. The installer has a good reputation and had all the right answers along with factory trained people.

GW - I totally get the German car comparison. I drove Audi for many years.

Bryant Evolution and Carrier Infinity are the same .... you will like it. Did you price out the 5 speed ? In NJ an PA the 5 was quite a savings vs the full VS Greenspeed unit .... The 5 will not go down as cold as the Greenspeed -- but, like you I don't need it to as the house has other heat source.

I will say this. When it was first installed I was doing work on the house and the boiler was down one of the times when the temps went to zero and it was putting out very warm air. Impressive -- I needed it for about three days and it was on 4 or 5 almost the whole time.
  • Larry (from OSHA)
    Larry (from OSHA) Member Posts: 717
    Options
    @Tag - The one I'm getting is the 5 speed.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.
  • TAG
    Options

@Tag - The one I'm getting is the 5 speed.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

It's a nice system ..... The 4" filter is a nice upgrade IMO. The setup is slick as the system goes through self checks and duct CFM checks.

There are also lockout setting that have to be looked out .... one of them will keep it out of 1st stage. Since all of mine are zoned and I use them on low fan setting I wanted to make sure we had first stage. I can really see the difference with constant circulation -- the temp all over the house is more uniform. I use it all year --- even with the radiant.