Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Modern Plumbing and Heating from Sears, Roebuck and Co., Philadelphia

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited June 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
Modern Plumbing and Heating from Sears, Roebuck and Co., Philadelphia

In their day, Sears had it all over today's home centers when it came to heating, as you'll see. This is from 1927.

Read the full story here

Roohollah

Comments

• Flapjack3
    Flapjack3 Member Posts: 5
    Page 27... WOW
  • Roohollah
    Roohollah Member Posts: 135
    It is impressive and has a lot to say . Thanks a bunch for sharing it .
  • jerryb46
    jerryb46 Member Posts: 59
    nice to read stories brings me back when i started in the trade,many sears boilers on long island and queens. Converted to oil and gas but all the extras in the catalog there,ect hot water tanks high on a rack gravity circulation bet you could still fend a few.
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    My 1928 Sear Barrington has a "Hercules Heating System". The original boiler is long gone but the radiators and pipes are still used. I have the original plumbing blueprints for it too. 
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
    Boilers starting at $52. Thermostat at $29. Interesting. Manufacturer encouraging DYI installation of boiler and entire heating system. Just need man and son. Wow
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Loved the booklet especially the guarantee on all the systems installed.

Jake
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,165
    Those were the days... you could even order a whole house at one time.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,717
    edited June 2022
    ...And how the Asbestos in the duct work page is offered as a "Good Thing" and only $1.00 for a ten yard roll! Doesn't get any better than that!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • talon55
    talon55 Member Posts: 3
    Shame I'm such a wimp,dad and son just flip boiler in place. Handy man installing it. Love old advertisements
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 645
    edited September 2022

Boilers starting at $52. Thermostat at $29. Interesting. Manufacturer encouraging DYI installation of boiler and entire heating system. Just need man and son. Wow

Back in the mid 1950s that's exactly what happened.

Me and my dad, my dad mostly, installed a Sears hot water heating system in our home. First and second floor with the boiler in the basement. That's when I learned to thread pipe and solder copper tubing.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.