Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Do I need air scoop?

conrajetken
conrajetken Member Posts: 10
Hi again!! Thanks for all the great advice. New question. Do I need an air scoop on three zone hot water boiler loop. I am very tight for space and will have to do some creative plumbing to connect to my existing supply piping. I have air bleed on coil in attic and another one on boiler tap. The old boiler had an air scoop but due to different connection points on new boiler I can’t fit scoop in without rearranging supply piping the three zones. Thanks. 

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    Some of the cast-iron boilers have a built-in air scoop. There are some mod cons that also have built-in air scoop. What boiler model number and brand do you plan on using to replace the old boiler? This will help determine if you should put an air scoop on the supply piping of your new system.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    You should use a microbubble scrubber rather than an old style air scoop. The microbubble scrubber does a better job of removing air than an air scoop. Caleffi makes different versions that can mount in horizontal or vertical piping which may help you if you are short on space.

I am a little concerned about your layout of the near boiler piping if you don't know the answer to this question. This is a great resource for all of the design issues you will run in to:
    https://idronics.caleffi.com/magazine-archive
    EdTheHeaterManZmanSTEVEusaPA
  • conrajetken
    conrajetken Member Posts: 10
    Thank you for the responses. It’s an older Weil McLain model 68V. It has a 1” pipe adjacent to the water out tap with an air bleed on top and a tee with a nipple connecting the expansion tank. This is a picture of the boiler in its prior installation before I obtained it. I don’t see an air scoop so not sure if I need to add one in my installation. 

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    If you want the best efficiency out of any boiler, really any hydronic system hot or cold, you need a micro bubble type air eliminator. Neither air vents or boiler sections can adequately remove the micro bubbles, entrained air, in piping systems.
    Air scoops, iron camelhumps are horse and buggy technology🥴

There is always room for an air purger, they do not need any straight lengths in front or after them. Usually 4” or so of piping length to install a vertical or horizontal micro bubble purger
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    STEVEusaPAZmanmattmia2
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527

Thank you for the responses. It’s an older Weil McLain model 68V. It has a 1” pipe adjacent to the water out tap with an air bleed on top and a tee with a nipple connecting the expansion tank.

That boiler should have a tapping to the left of the 1.25" supply outlet for an air vent.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited June 2022
    So, are we to understand that the Weil Mclain 468V boiler is the replacement boiler? If that is the case, there is a built in air scoop in that boiler. See page 8 of this instruction manual on how to use it. https://www.weil-mclain.com/sites/default/files/field-file/68-manual_1.pdf

Are you getting this boiler for free? If not, then you are spending money for something that should have been scrapped 10 years ago. There is a chance that it will last many many years though.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics