Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Henry Ford Museum

MattinIndy
MattinIndy Member Posts: 9
This past weekend I was in Detroit. Ended up going to the Henry Ford Museum, which I highly recommend. Me being a HVAC Tech, I'm always looking at how they heat and cool the place. Saw some really interesting radiators I've included pics of. I figured a few of you might enjoy them as well. They also had a small exhibit with several different types of stoves, some of which were really ornate as you'll see if I can figure out how to attach the pics. :)

mattmia2

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,630
    There are other discussions on here about those radiators. I like the ones that surround the columns.
  • mattmia2
    Looks like they are monoflow like from this post.

https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/142780/henry-ford-museum-radiators
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    mattmia2
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    My favorite museum! I want to live there. 
    Retired and loving it.
    mattmia2
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,828

My favorite museum! I want to live there. 

I'll bet your house is a Museum with all those old books on heating from the Turn of the Century. Can we still say that? without confusing the Gen X and Gen Z. And that great steam powered hang glider. LOL

Erin said she spit out her coffee when she saw that!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,284
    @EdTheHeaterMan, our collection is here:

President
    HeatingHelp.com
    mattmia2bburdEdTheHeaterManreggi
  • mrhemi
    mrhemi Member Posts: 28
    Been to the Henry Ford many times, starting with school trips 50+ years ago. Great museum. A few years back, my wife and I went there for a day trip. They had a '60s exhibit during our visit. Come across the very lunch bucket and thermos (The Fantastic Four) that I carried to grade school as a kid. I guess you know you are vintage when your lunch box is on display in the Henry Ford Museum.
    Licensed Steamfitter.
    Licensed Instrumentation & Control Technician.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • mattmia2
    mrhemi said:

Been to the Henry Ford many times, starting with school trips 50+ years ago. Great museum. A few years back, my wife and I went there for a day trip. They had a '60s exhibit during our visit. Come across the very lunch bucket and thermos (The Fantastic Four) that I carried to grade school as a kid. I guess you know you are vintage when your lunch box is on display in the Henry Ford Museum.

I was looking at some pictures of the voice of america museum. There was a short wave receiver that I got new as a kid in one of the displays. In the Henry Ford Museum there is a display with a Multi Elmac transmitter that my grandfather's company built in the suburbs of Detroit.(I think they were in Oak Park when those were built.)
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 511
    mrhemi said:
    B<snip>Come across the very lunch bucket and thermos (The Fantastic Four) that I carried to grade school as a kid. <\snip>.
    Wow.... What are the odds of that ? Did a family member donate it ? 
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
    CLamb
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    One of my favorite books is "1937 Electrical Code Handbook" Somewhere inside it describes "wooden electrical conduit"

I don't know if it's an optical or not, but Dan's shelves look like they may be sagging a little. Good thing it's on a slab!!
  • mattmia2
    I learned about wood conduit in "Old Electrical Wiring". It was what wiremold was made to replace.
    https://www.google.com/books/edition/Old_Electrical_Wiring_Evaluating_Repairi/s3mJQgAACAAJ?hl=en
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 912
    I have seen wooden electrical conduit, in surface wiring of buildings from the early 20th century.

Bburd