Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

OARA Type 979L Natural Gas Regulator Help

Options
PilotPat24
PilotPat24 Member Posts: 104
Hi Guys,

I know this is off topic but I have a new Bertazonni Gas Range that is going to be installed with a supplied OARA Type 979L Natural Gas Regulator.

Two Questions...

1) Does anything need to be done with the vent during the install? (See attached picture)

2) I'm assuming the arrow on the rear of the regulator indicates the direction of the gas flow? (see attached picture)

Thanks for any input.

Pat

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Do you actually need it? What is the pressure regulated to... 3.5"WC? What is the system pressure at the appliance inlet?

As far as that vent, there is next to nothing going to come out of that opening. But some AHJ will require that the vent be piped to a safe location. Others will allow it to vent indoors when connected to Natural Gas.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,668
    Options
    My viking cooktop was like that. Instead of having the appliance regulator installed on the appliance it came loose in the box with it. The vent on that should have an orifice in it that will limit how much gas can leak if the diaphragm breaks.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,543
    Options
    Yes, What @mattmia2 said it needs to have a vent limiting orifice installed in the vent tapping or be piped outdoors. You should contact the regulator mfg for the correct vent limiter
  • PilotPat24
    Options
    I was able to find literature about the regulator that came with the range. It says that it already has a vent limiter. I guess I am good to go. I attached the literature for the regulator.
  • PilotPat24
    Options

Do you actually need it? What is the pressure regulated to... 3.5"WC? What is the system pressure at the appliance inlet?

As far as that vent, there is next to nothing going to come out of that opening. But some AHJ will require that the vent be piped to a safe location. Others will allow it to vent indoors when connected to Natural Gas.

Here is some information I got...

Gas Meter...

National Grid Blue Book...

Appliance Information...

• mattmia2
    Options
    Show a further back pic of the meter. is there a meter regulator?
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    The yellow plastic plug IS the vent limiter. This is a typical poppet-style appliance regulator. It is adjustable as the label shows from 10-4 wci for LP vs. NG with a maximum inlet gas pressure of 1/2 psi( 14wci). If the space is ventilated and accessible, you do not need to extend the vent. You need an approved shutoff, ground union, and sediment trap immediately upstream of the regulator.
  • mattmia2
    Options

You need an approved shutoff, ground union, and sediment trap immediately upstream of the regulator.

I thought ranges were excepted from the drip leg rule. Won't the appliance connector serve as a union?

• PilotPat24
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I spoke with the regulator manufacture yesterday. They said that regulator is good to go in it's current configuration. I am assuming this arrow on the back of the regulator housing represents the gas flow direction?

Pat

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    Yup.
    mattmia2
  • PilotPat24
    Options
    ratio said:

Yup.

Thank You.