Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Whose Double Wall Indirects are you using?

Options
The Steam Whisperer
The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
We use these mainly in 6 flats and they need to be double wall (Illinois plumbing code). I was using HTP Superstore stainless units , but HTP has stopped producing these double wall models. The 80 gallon units seem to work well with the steam boiler providing hot water.
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Mercifully, the UPC dropped their double-wall requirement about 10 years ago. We were using Superstore’s and a few Amtrol’s. 
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,265
    Options

Mercifully, the UPC dropped their double-wall requirement about 10 years ago. We were using Superstore’s and a few Amtrol’s. 

I didn't know that. Before double wall was coded in in the seventies I never heard of anybody harmed by water contaminated with steam or refrigerant.

Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,012
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I didn't know that. Before double wall was coded in in the seventies I never heard of anybody harmed by water contaminated with steam or refrigerant.
    I think they were more concerned about chemicals added to the boiler water getting into the domestic water system.

mattmia2
    Options
    I just noticed that Laars has double-wall indirects.

https://www.laars.com/images/uploads/products/11027E-NH.pdf

They also have single-wall, stainless steel models, but I don't remember them being mentioned here on HeatingHelp. Has anyone ever installed one?

Their MiniTherm boilers have been redesigned and are now JX models; the 125K and larger come with low-loss headers. Pretty much the same design as their JVS models. I've come around to liking these boilers; many in my area are still going strong after 20+ years and they are comparatively easy to service.