Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

house explosion

Comments

• In_New_England
    In_New_England Member Posts: 130
    From some sleuthing on google maps and realtor sites, looks like 455 Hale had electric heating, but 453 Hale had gas and was sold recently "AS IS".

ABC6 says neighbors smelled gas, and that there was a propane tank on site that was not destroyed. Not confirmed if there were gas lines.

An explosion this big, would it mean the gas had been leaking for some time and had saturated the basement? Set off by a spark when someone switched on a light to go in?
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    Propane is heavier than air so it tends to collect in a structure and find a pilot or other ignition source. Natural gas/methane is lighter than air so it tends to rise out of the building through gaps in the structure with smaller leaks.
    In_New_England
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 507
    edited May 2022

Wow, that was a significant event.
    In_New_England
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    Kinda puts a damper on your day.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    Before and after

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • MaxMercy
    edited May 2022
    ron said:

Huh - that never occurred to me it could have been a meth "lab" explosion. Interesting to see the follow up.

• MaxMercy
    ron said:

...with the hard timesover the last couple years (i won't mention why) that kind of industry is only going to get bigger and there are those people who will do whatever they can to get by.

It's scary. I heard an economist on the radio yesterday saying things are really going to start getting worse by end of the year. I fear for the people who are living paycheck to paycheck.

• SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    Jamie Dimon, head of JPMorgan, says: Brace yourself- there is an economic hurricane on the horizon.

I know how to brace for a meteorological hurricane but I have no idea how to brace for an economic one.
    MaxMercy