Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Liquid Solids

Options
JimP
JimP Member Posts: 87
Hello. A couple weeks ago I put some boiler liquid in a new installation. There were a lot of solids - almost like wood fibers- in it. This is something like I’ve never seen and doesn’t seem right. The solid wouldn’t go into solution. Thinking that something was wrong  I contacted Oatey and they told me this fiber is normal. I’ve used this product many times in the past but never experienced solid stuff like this. Has anyone encountered this stuff and is it OK?

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,868
    edited May 2022
    Options
    JimP said:

Hello. A couple weeks ago I put some boiler liquid in a new installation.
    I'm thinking that you should not need a leak sealer on a new installation. If this is the way you were taught to install new equipment, then you need a new teacher!

AND

That is not what is supposed to be in that bottle. I have used that to get a leaking boiler thru the season until the warm weather allowed us to shut down the system for the proper repair. Never needed to use it for a new installation, and I soldered all my copper and used threaded iron pipe fittings and nipples. A minor leak was fixed by tightening loose fittings or re-soldering the rare leaking sweat joints.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

GGrossHomerJSmith
  • JimP
    Options
    Thanks Edward. In the past I’ve sometimes used it as a water “conditioner “. This stuff is different and horrible. I’ll never use it again. It almost seems reckless to add it to a hydronic system.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,338
    Options
    JimP said:

Thanks Edward. In the past I’ve sometimes used it as a water “conditioner “. This stuff is different and horrible. I’ll never use it again. It almost seems reckless to add it to a hydronic system.

Adding any stop leak to a boiler is at the very least reckless. If a boiler and heating system is leaking, find out why and fix it.

I might add that doing so to a vehicle is also reckless, unless you are in the middle of Nevada with no cell coverage and a blown cooling system. I've hit vehicles where the result was a new engine, new radiator, and new heating core.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2GGross
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,050
    Options
    That stuff is not appropriate to use as a water conditioner, some salesman must have used some sales words to sell you more of it.
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,678
    Options
    GGross said:

That stuff is not appropriate to use as a water conditioner, some salesman must have used some sales words to sell you more of it.

If you read Oety's marketing, it kind of implies that it should be used as a conditioner, but it clearly shouldn't. Try Rhomar.
    GGrossHomerJSmithEdTheHeaterMan
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    Experience is what you get when things don't go the way you planned.
    CanuckerEdTheHeaterMan
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    Options
    Agree with above but just for curiosity, check the expiration date. That looks like something left way past is self by date. 
  • JimP
    Options
    I don’t think it’s old. This is a new container and graphics design. I sent these photos to Oatey’s technical services because I thought something was wrong. They asked for a batch number but there wasn’t one on the container. They then told me that this was OK and that stuff was meant to be in solution. I can only conclude that they have changed the formulation for some reason. Maybe they bought this business?
    I first used this product 40 years ago. There was always some thickness that easily went into solution. I use it on old high water volume hydronic radiator systems. I thought that it wouldn’t hurt and might help if a tiny leak from a valve packing or large radiator union developed over time. If I had heater coils or something other than cast iron radiators I probably wouldn’t have used this. I trusted that it was OK but won’t use it any more.