Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

circulators

Options
DaveM
DaveM Member Posts: 51
I have a two zone hydronic oil fired boiler with the two circulators on the return. I'm installing an indirect storage tank as a third zone, Can I put that circulator on the supply side

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Where is your PONPC (expansion tank) in all this? Your circs should all be pumping away from that locaton.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Labenaqui
    Labenaqui Member Posts: 72
    Options

You should consider re-piping your supply & return.
    This pic is of our patented VT2218 Delta-T ECM Appliance with an integrated IWH, as you are proposing.
    Our close-coupled near-boiler piping method prioritizes DHW generation without controls.
    Replace your boiler aquastat with a Hydrolevel 3250-Plus for "cold-start" operation if you haven't already.
    We have over 125,000 hours on this configuration without issue.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,844
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Zman said:

Where is your PONPC (expansion tank) in all this? Your circs should all be pumping away from that locaton.

What "should be" and what was done many many years ago are often 2 different things.

@Labenaqui said:
    "You should consider re-piping your supply & return."

I don't see anyone offering to pay for this though!

Your system is just fine as is. As long as you have has trouble free operation for the time you have used it over the long haul, Just follow the existing design and match the circulator location of the original design.

If, however, you are experiencing problems with constant air noise in your piping, insufficient heat, required purging air, or venting air on a regular basis, or other problems like corrosion that might be corrected by a major repiping, then this is the time to consider repiping as suggested.

I hope this helps.

Mr. Ed
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    bburd
  • DaveM
    Options
    the expansion tank is existing and is not an issue as for circulators on the supply the pumping away method is recommended having them on the return is old school and actually works just as good if not better My question is can I have two on the return and one on the supply?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,844
    Options
    DaveM said:

the expansion tank is existing and is not an issue as for circulators on the supply the pumping away method is recommended having them on the return is old school and actually works just as good if not better My question is can I have two on the return and one on the supply?

It may be fine. Why do you need to (or want to) place it there?
    My recommendation is to follow your existing design. Put it on the return as are the others. But that does not mean it won't work if you place it on the supply.

Can you make a diagram of the existing piping and component location? Boiler, circulators, expansion tank, flow control valves and water feed valve!

This will show possible problems with your design, or show that it will operate problem free.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • DaveM
    Options
    Ed as always you're a tremendous help. I want to put the circulator on the supply simply for convenience. wasn't sure if it would work properly