Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sprinklers causing sewer backup?

Options
Fmassarotto_9
Fmassarotto_9 Member Posts: 111
Im unsure if this is the correct place to post this but i've had 2 sewer back ups in the last 25 days and i'm wondering if it's the sprinklers causing it? Before i snaked it out i saw a whole bunch of what looked like grass, dirt, thatch and god knows what back into the drains. Could be a long shot and a stupid question but is it possible? 

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Entirely possible If your drains have dirt and grass and whatnot in them, they also have leaks. If you manage to raise the groundwater level enough with your sprinklers -- and anything over an inch of water or so a week is more than ample-- the extra water will happily go into the drain and, if the drain is draining poorly, back into your house.

You need to reduce the sprinkling -- and get the drains repaired.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,667
    Options
    There could be drains in the yard, in window wells, on a driveway or for downspouts where that stuff can be getting in there, especially if it is a storm sewer.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,304
    Options
    Hi, It sounds like it's time to run a camera down the line so you can see just what's going on and where.

Yours, Larry
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 975
    Options
    you might be getting roots growing into your drain. they look for water and feed off of the drain water. they do sell "root destroyer" that will eat away the roots but a camera is a good option to consider because you might have a cracked drain