Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ameristar 4 ton heat pump

Options
EBEBRATT-Ed
EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,539
I got called in to look at this for a relative 3 years ago. (you get all the good jobs when you retire)

Long story short, he bought this house that was about 3/4 complete (new house) but the sellers got divorced before it was finished so my relative go a real good deal :):#

4 ton Ameristar HP split with a Goodman AHU (mismatch) that wouldn't drain condensate (no trap, no vent) fixed that and the unit was undercharged. Couldn't find a leak so charged it up and it has run flawlessly for 3 years.

Now today he called me with no cooling. The outdoor units defrost board is bad (wont bring on outdoor fan)

So I bypassed that fan contact and got him cooling.

I here these things are junk. Some say made by Trane some say American Standard. It does say Ingersoll Rand & Ameristar on the unit.

Anyhow I am looking for a price for a new defrost board which I here fail often. He has a sep heating system so may not bother fixing the heat on this thing.

Anyone have any input on these or where to get parts?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    I guess a White Rogers 47D01U-843 will work if I have to
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    They were made by Media for Trane/Amer Std. That’s where you’ll get parts.

Trane dropped  them a couple years ago and started making the Run True/Ameristar units in house.

Johnstone Supply has picked up the line and is calling  it “Ox Box”. They may also have the part.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,662
    Options
    wait, the board failed in 3 years, it is known to fail, there is a white rogers part that will do the same thing and you are considering the oem part?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    I would probably buy the WR board. It is a complete kit and comes with new sensors. I just want to know where to get parts for the Ameristar and find out what the price would be before I commit.

The house has radiant floor heat with a Viessmann boiler they have never run this as a heat pump. I guess the original owner bought it.........I don't know what his thinking was. he wanted it for a back up or he bought a heat pump thinking it was just AC.....don't know. But apparently it has cooled the house OK since I charged it 3 years ago. It's a mis match with the Goodman AHU in the attic.

If It was my house I would run it for cooling only and when the condenser failed or the AHU failed replace it with something good. The return ducts are way undersized yet the condenser runs normal pressures