Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Piston

Why charge wet bulb and dry bulb when system use piston metering device ? And why txv doesn’t charge by wet bulb and dry bulb ?

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,589
    edited May 2022
    As far as I know with a fixed orifice device like a piston you charge by superheat.

With a txv you charge by subcooling because the txv controls superheat, so you can't really charge by it.   Personally I watch superheat as well with a txv and adjust the txv if possible to get both superheat and subcooling where they need to be .

Subcooling is really just showing you how much reserve liquid refrigerant you have backed up in the condenser.  

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    mattmia2
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    because with fixed metering device a greater portion of the refrigerant is used to remove the latent heat plus the sensible heat. so on a humid day your superheat will increase due to the higher latent heat load on the evaporator coil.
    with a txv it will just open up to maintain the proper superheat due to the increased load.
  • johnjohn89
    johnjohn89 Member Posts: 100
    ChrisJ said:
    As far as I know with a fixed orifice device like a piston you charge by superheat.

With a txv you charge by subcooling because the txv controls superheat, so you can't really charge by it.   Personally I watch superheat as well with a txv and adjust the txv if possible to get both superheat and subcooling where they need to be .

Subcooling is really just showing you how much reserve liquid refrigerant you have backed up in the condenser.  

Ture thanks

• johnjohn89
    johnjohn89 Member Posts: 100
    pedmec said:
    because with fixed metering device a greater portion of the refrigerant is used to remove the latent heat plus the sensible heat. so on a humid day your superheat will increase due to the higher latent heat load on the evaporator coil. with a txv it will just open up to maintain the proper superheat due to the increased load.
    Great answer thank u so much