Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need Help with Prestige 110 Boiler

Options
srbram
srbram Member Posts: 3
My Prestige 110 Boiler is acting up in the CH mode. Its located in a vacation home on the north coast of CA and is about 11years old. It has had the ignition module upgrade.

When turned on the boiler fires right up into high mode and heats up the DHW in about 20 min (60 gal heat exchanger).
But, once it switches over the Central Heating side it starts acting up. It did run for about 20 min, reaching a temp of 128 then slows down and the horn (trumpet) sound started. It then cycles several times with codes of 5, 6, and 1. It tries to restart but fails.
Eventually we got an error code of E 00. I reset and it started but after running for a bit is slows and starts the cycle over again.

Things done so far:
1.Checked and adjusted the combustion
2.Removed venturi tube and checked the plastic fan, Fan blade looks good.
3. Replaced the CH pump, thought boiler was not getting circulating water.
4. Checked the DHW and CHW temp wire connections to the circuit board, all looks good.
5. Replaced igniter.

Might anyone have any suggestions to troubleshoot, the service technician is having a hard time solving this.

Thank You so much.

Comments

• pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 973
    Options
    what are your combustion numbers at high and low fire? I ask because your fire sounds like it might not be set right
  • pedmec
    Options
    on low fire. sorry hit enter button by accident
  • srbram
    Options
    I am not sure about that, the technician that came out did the combustion part. What numbers are acceptable? Thank You
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    E5 and E6 anre control board issues. needs a replacement board. E1 is not on the error code list.
  • pedmec
    Options
    E1 is an ignition failure.

your not burning correctly in low fire. that's why your getting the trumpeting noise and eventually flame failure and it will try to restart because its still in a call. most likely to lean.

combustion numbers are in the installation manual

MAX 10.5 CO2 MIN 8.8 CO2
    LOW FIRE WITHIN .2% of high fire

you should receive a printout from the tech that is doing the test at completion. it might even be on site.
    GGross
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    That model tends to run quieter and more reliably when tuned to the richer side of the range (higher CO2, lower O2), just be sure the CO is not higher than spec (~100).

The air temp when the test is done also plays into it. The same settings will test richer on a warmer day than on a colder day due to air density.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Derheatmeister
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,046
    Options
    "replaced igniter" which igniter did they replace it with? Some companies had stock of the old trimax igniters and may not realize that the ignition update kit includes a completely different igniter, if you got it through TT tech support it should be fine, counter sales at supply houses may not be aware of this though.

I didn't see E6 in the error code list, but E5 is incorrect blower speed which could definitely contribute to the trumpet sound. I can't imagine it is burning within spec while it is making that sound. First thing I would check is the venturi (if it is rough feeling it needs to be replaced) and get another combustion analysis done. Those are the cheap things, after that it may be blower and control board, though the ignition update should have included a new control board. If you have been recirculating flue gas any number of difficulties could have been inflicted on the electronics.

https://cdn.triangletube.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/13135811/2011-48-Prestige-Solo-110-Instalation-Manual.pdf
  • srbram
    Options
    Thank You all. I have the technician scheduled for next week to double check the combustion numbers and he also said he need to check the gas pressure to make sure it stable. I did check the venturi tube and it is smooth inside the tube with no dust or debris where it enters the fan housing.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    The gas pressure is a good one to check. Make sure try it with all the other appliances running and when just the boiler is running.
    If the tech says the combustion is good, ask him to make it a little richer (as long as it is still within range) and see if that makes a difference. Also be sure he checks it at high fire, low fire, and if possible everything in between.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    kcopp