Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

DIY Job? Adding TRVs to panel radiator?

skiereric
skiereric Member Posts: 66
Roughly 1/4 of my radiators do not have TRVs.
This summer, I was hoping to add TRVs to the remaining radiators.

First question - I feel this is something I can handle as a homeowner? Is there anything I am missing? Ideally looking for a guide or instructions I can follow.

Second question - A few of my radiators have a strange "adaptor" valve? Any idea why?

Could this adapter cause any flow issues?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    It looks like an isolation valve. It should not cause flow issues if fully open.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • JDHW
    JDHW Member Posts: 72
    @skiereric,
    Are you in the UK? The valve you have shown is a lockshield valve. It is used to balance the flow between the radiators in you system hence it has cap on it to prevent adjustment once it is adjusted properly. Normally you have a TRV on the input to the radiator and the lockshield on the other side.

John
    geno907
  • skiereric
    I am in Canada.
    Both the supply and return have a lockshield valve.
    I am looking to replace the supply side with a TRV with TRV head.
  • Zman
    @JDHW I thought it looked like one of these.https://www.supplyhouse.com/Runtal-VALVE-ANG-SET-Standard-Angle-Shut-Off-Valve-Set-for-All-Models Do you see something that indicates it's for balancing?

@skiereric IF you can find a thermostatic valve with the same configuration as the valve you have the swap should be pretty simple. Reconfiguring the radiator nipples is a bit harder.
    Albert Einstein
  • skiereric
    @Zman Here is what another valve on another rad looks like

This is the part I would use to swap - https://www.supplyhouse.com/Danfoss-013G8013-1-2-Side-Mount-Angle-Thermostatic-Radiator-Valve-5552000-p
  • Zman
    Do you see how the valves on your radiators have the male side of the union in both directions and the one on supply house has a female pipe thread fitting on one side? That will make the job harder.
    I don't recognize the brand of your valves but I bet someone on here does.
    Albert Einstein
  • Zman
    Nice, Do you see how this one has the 2 unions you need? https://herzvalves.com/catalog.php?prodID=106&lng=gbr
    Albert Einstein
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I just worked on a 2 pipe steam system that had TRV's with that small Heart trademark.

Those were made by Ammark...ammarkcorp.com.

Most of the time changing rad valves you have to change the spud union screwed into the radiator.....sometimes easy.
  • skiereric
    @Zman Perfect. I can remove the existing valve/tail that goes into the radiator using a radiator spud wrench and then install the new TRV valve with the male union (from the link you posted)
  • Zman
    Chances are, you can leave the part that goes into the radiator and simply loosen both unions and swap it out. You will of course need to drain and refill that part of the system.
    Albert Einstein
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 909
    If you have an indoor thermostat controlling the system, it’s important not to put TRVs on the radiators near the thermostat. The usual strategy is to put the thermostat in the coldest room, then use TRVs in the other rooms to reduce the heating there to balance the system. 

This does not apply of the system uses an outdoor thermostat as master control and does not have an interior temperature sensor.

Bburd