Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Clogged returns

SMITTY64
SMITTY64 Member Posts: 25
I have a 2 pipe vented gas steam boiler with some clogged returns. Does anyone have any ideas on how to clear the lines? The furthest return is about 30 feet. Can I take apart at the radiator and flush the returns under pressure using a Clog Hog? Or would I be better off feeding a cleaner from the top of the returns down ro the boiler. I could cap off at the near boiler hartford loop and open the drain valve thereby eliminating any crud from entering the boiler. The crud would then get flushed directly out the boiler drain. Any ideas would be helpful.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 18,903
    Usually one can do quite well by getting a hose with a good flow of water in one end and opening a valve or T or whatever at the other. I would NOT use any form of pressure at all. First, it isn't needed, second, you are very likely to damage the pipe. Also you should not need a cleaner. Your second plan -- minus the cleaner -- the better one. If there is a really tight clog -- rare, but not unheard of -- a snake is the best way to go.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • SMITTY64
    SMITTY64 Member Posts: 25
    THANK YOU. THANK YOU.
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 191
    i have used a electric handsnake with a 1/4 wire. actually makes the bend on 3/4 cast iron 90's. works great. then flush the line out with with water. hardest part is keeping the location clean
  • HydroNiCK
    HydroNiCK Member Posts: 129
    On a line that I had to repair/cut open anyway....I've used a compressor.  It forced sludge right out.