Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Do I need floor thermostat for QuietWarmth electric heat system?

SD2000
SD2000 Member Posts: 10
I am planning on buying the QuietWarmth electric heating mat for floating vinyl flooring. It has a maximum temperature of 85F, if that's the case, can I just connect the mat to a regular switch (like a regular light switch) and turn it on a off when I need to use it? Save me $150/zone. I know it means I don't get the fine control of the temperature for these zones. For some of the less frequently used zone, I would just want them to be either on or off when we use it.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    I don't find a maximum temperature specification in their literature. However they do claim that is safe for viny tile.

However, be very sure that your wiring and switch are rated to match the product (if you use the 240 volt type, you'll need a double pole switch)
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • jhewings
    jhewings Member Posts: 139
    edited May 2022
    Every electric mat control I have seen has a built in GFI. I consider GFI protection mandatory. The GFI is not just for water. It will trip if either of the heat wires or ground have a short due to an installation issue or later damage.