Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Completely cover baseboard heater

elrayle
elrayle Member Posts: 3
I have a baseboard hot water heater in a small closet used for storage. It gets way too hot in the closet. Can I box in the heater with rigid foam board type insulation?  This would stop the air flow and the radiating off heat out into the closet. Are there any risks?  The other option would be to remove the heater.   I have to keep the pipe as it feeds the heater in the adjoining room. Other suggestions are welcome. 

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,843
    You could box it in yes. Proper way is to remove the radiator and run straight copper with 1/2" or 3/4" insulation over it then enclose it.
    elrayle
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 855
    Could cut the aluminum fins off, that would reduce the output significantly.   Unfortunately the copper pipe will still emit some heat. 

Could start by simply laying cardboard strips on the top of the fins and see how it goes. I would guess this will reduce the output by about half.
  • elrayle
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I’ll try boxing it in first and see how it goes. I can always remove it later. 
  • elrayle
    Thought I’d post before and after pics in case that impacts opinions. 

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    Safest way is to wrap the fins in aluminum foil. This will block the airflow across the fins and reduce the heat output
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Why not just remove it? No ugliness.
    steve