Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is this protrusion from boiler?

Options
Ldallas_87
Ldallas_87 Member Posts: 18
I was looking for a tapping for a probe type LWCO but only saw this. Can anyone tell me what it is for?

Also I noticed that the installer didn’t use the normal tapping for the lower gauge glass fitting and tapped a hole above it. Has anyone ever seen this done and is there a reason for it? I appreciate any input. 
ScottSecor

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    Make and model of the boiler would help. Everything I can see looks like it's properly installed.

What is the issue? You want to get rid of the MM #67 low water cutoff and go electronic?
  • Ldallas_87
    edited May 2022
    Options
    It’s an Enerjet, installed around 1987 but I am unsure of the model (missing label). Yes I was thinking of going electronic with a probe LWCO. 

Glad it looks properly installed to you. What is the reason to have two locations to  insert bottom gauge fitting? Just curious about that. 

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    https://hydrolevel.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/711-Series-Instructions-web.pdfer

Take a look at the above which may solve your problem.

I would have to see the MFG specs on the boiler to know what all the tapping's are for. Some boilers could be used for water or steam, so they had extra tapping's.

Looks like you could use this
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    Try this the link in my previous post doesn't work
  • Ldallas_87
    Options
    Thank you!
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,671
    Options
    The steamaster water color and that drain on the gauge glass make me think someone here did that work, unless that all came from you?

Where are you located roughly? Just a general area is more than good enough.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Ldallas_87
    Options
    I’m in Brooklyn, NY. Yes I installed that with the help of this forum and YouTube. 
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,833
    Options
    No one addressed the "protrusion" query. I believe it is one of the holes in the sand mold where the liquid cast iron is poured into the mold at the foundry. But I could be mistaken.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    Why is the cabinet cut?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,833
    edited May 2022
    Options
    pecmsg said:

Why is the cabinet cut?

He was looking for a tapping for the probe type LWCO and wanted to see what that bump was. Probably found that the jacket was not depressing as much as it did where there were no bumps. This is just speculation but I think the owner has a pair of tin snips. Just sayin'
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics