Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What should I expect out of this boiler?

Options
DudeAbides
DudeAbides Member Posts: 9
So I bought a duplex recently which came with this boiler installed in the basement:
https://winsupplyinc.com/new-yorker/_/A-01152832

The upstairs is entirely electric, so the boiler is only responsible for the heating and hot water on the first floor. Unfortunately, it can only keep a hot shower going for about 3-5 minutes before dropping into the low 90s/high 80s f... definitely not a satisfying bathing experience.

So, before I add a supplemental tank to the system, I was wondering if I should expect this boiler to be able to supply enough hot water for a 15 minute shower? Is it potentially just in need of a service to restore it's capacity?

thanks!

Comments

• MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Post pics of the boiler and install.
  • DudeAbides
    Options

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,326
    Options
    Flat out that boiler might -- might -- give you about 2 gpm of 110 degree water. So if you are using a low flow shower head, and the boiler has been recently cleaned and adjusted, maybe.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    DudeAbidesMikeAmann
  • DudeAbides
    Options
    Alrighty then it looks like a tank it is. thanks!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    @DudeAbides

Tankless heaters for domestic hot water are not the best, but in a two-person home they will do the job if everything is set up properly. The boiler controls need to be set properly and if the mixing valve on the tankless coil is working properly.
    MikeAmann
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Plumb the street water into the IWH first, then through your tankless coil.
    For small hot water draws, the tankless will handle that, and the cold water that replaces what you have drawn refills the IWH. The IWH acts as a tempering tank.
    Plumbed the opposite way, a small draw will likely fire the boiler.
  • DJD775
    DJD775 Member Posts: 252
    Options
    I've had similar setups before and they are adequate when the coils are totally clean but under perform if the interior wall of the coil becomes fouled up. Swapped to indirect tanks on both occasions and never thought about it again.
    MikeAmann