Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

stack relay disconnected is this a problem?

Options
Joseph_4
Joseph_4 Member Posts: 271
I have a customer with an old coal fired boiler converted to gas using an economite ds24 spark ignition. I got called because no heat (problem was switch in no 369 Lwco) Aside from that the system is archaic..... The fact that the stack relay was bypassed probably years ago....is that a safety issue.. Its been about 10 yrs since i was in class for these, but if the spark module on the economite has its own safeties, then its correct that the Stack relay can be disconnected.. I just would like to make sure. Is that correct?
Thanks
Joe
HHI Services LLC

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    I’d have to see it to know how it’s set up, but any modern burner should have a built in flame safety.

A stack switch would be totally worthless on a gas burner due to the amount of time it would take to react to an ignition failure.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    mattmia2STEVEusaPA
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    Probably left over from a previous oil burner.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    Left over from an old oil burner, The Economite isn't using the stack switch.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    Agree it was just never removed after the conversion. Which begs the questions, was a gas barometric relief installed? In the correct location? With a spill switch?