Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil heater

cab1020
cab1020 Member Posts: 3
Okay so I'm new to the group my name is Chris I'm working on a oil heater the tank was in the basement so is the furnace the tank popped the hole so instead of getting a new tank this guy fills his 55 gallon barrels his tank only run off of one line to the pump he had me put in a second line on the outlet to go back to the barrel now each time he runs it overnight or two it ends up not firing the burner and it's getting gas when I go in I'll take the second line off bleed it and it runs fine for a week or less I go back put the second line back on bleed it and it runs fine for 3 or 4 days anybody got any ideas or suggestions what I can do to fix this any helps appreciated thanks

Comments

• cab1020
    Hey come help me out please I really need to get this figured out any help her ideas would be great
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Well, the best thing to do -- obviously -- will be to get it fixed properly. I can't imagine that operating in the way he is is particularly safe -- and probably not legal. And I can't possibly approve of operating that way, except briefly in an emergency.

However, the most likely problem is leaks in the connections. They must be flare fittings at the ends, and no connections in between the tank shutoff and the burner.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    It's unsafe, and you seem to be unqualified (calling it gas, for one).
    But you probably forgot to install a bypass plug when switching from one pipe to two pipe.
    In the event of a spill or worse, you're on the hook for this, just so you know.
    steve
    mattmia2EdTheHeaterManHVACNUT
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,718
    edited April 2022
    I agree with Steve above. As professionals, we have all used temporary 5 gallon cans or 55 gallon drums to provide heat temporarily. The first and most important thing is to get all the oil from the leaking tank into container(s) that is not leaking (like a. number of 55 gallon drums). Then you can set up a temporary fuel line to one of the drums in order to provide heat until the permanent fuel tank can be installed. Don't use this a a permanent repair.

As Steve said above, If the fuel pump from the tank to the pump used only one fuel line, the fuel pump has no bypass plug installed. If you want to operate the same pump with two fuel lines (as supply and a return) then most pumps require a bypass plug in order to operate as a 2 pipe system. You should look up the I/O manual or service manual for the fuel pump you are having the problem with (like this one)

You can find this booklet here:
    http://www.suntec.fr/en/technical-support/
    Click on: Technical Manuals
    then click on: US Installation and Service Manual.

If this is not the fuel pump you have, then you must find the proper manual for the brand of fuel pump you have.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 281
    Hey, I can get you help.

I'll get you help. Give me your address and I will get the proper authorities
  • cab1020
    You know I come on here because I was told you guys could help somebody and I've got nothing but smart alec people that don't want to help anyone I say something about a temporary fix and you guys are ready to turn somebody in or some s*** don't worry it won't happen again thanks for all your help
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    @cab1020, you were helped but your looking at it the wrong way. You don't have any experience with oil burners. I know this because you didn't ask "this guy" "Why?" Do you even know why "this guy" wants you to make it 2 pipe? Was there a problem the way it was? It seems like an odd request from someone who watches too much YouTube. 
    By installing the part needed you could alter the pump pressure. Do you know what the pressure is? Do you know what its supposed to be?
    What sealant are you using on the 1/4" pump threads?
    How are you adapting from IPS to copper?
    Do you have a combustion analyzer and smoke tester so you can prove that everything was 100% when you left? 
    If someone here told you "you need to install a thingamajig" and "this guy's" house burns to the ground, then what? Oops?
    STEVEusaPASTEAM DOCTORmattmia2