Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help determining age of Peerless EC-04 boiler

Options
bwroga
bwroga Member Posts: 44
We have a Peerless EC-04 Boiler. When we bought our house 3.5 years ago, the property disclosure said the boiler was approximately 11 years old.

Every person that has come to look at it thinks it looks way older than that, but I cannot find a serial number or any markings that hint at it's actual age. Can anyone help?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    The small name plate above the burner on the boiler jacket held on by the two rivets try sanding that lightly with some fine sandpaper and see if you can read anything
  • bwroga
    Options
    @EBEBRATT-Ed
    Thanks for the suggestion, but no luck.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    What problem are you having besides obvious leaking? Are you looking into something with a warranty or lawsuit?
    steve
  • bwroga
    Options
    @STEVEusaPA I think the leak was fixed before we moved in, and there aren't any serious problems, but others on this board have pointed out that the near boiler piping was not done correctly. So we had someone come look at it and he confirmed that it was incorrect and gave us a quote for repiping it. I was just curious about the age, because I was trying to decide if it was worth repiping or if we should think about getting a new boiler.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    It might have been to the right of where the (BS) Energyguide label is. 
    It's got the swing out burner door so it's at least a 21st century boiler. 
    The original paperwork came with stickers showing model, serial numbers, BTU's, firing rate, etc. The installer was to affix it to the jacket. Maybe that torn paper was it.
    Have you searched around the whole area? Is there a manilla envelope hidden in the rafters somewhere?
    How far back do those service cards go that are above the switch?
  • bwroga
    Options
    @HVACNUT No luck again. I looked all around, and all I could find was the service card that goes back to 2011 and instructions for the water feeder and low water cutoff (which seems to be from 2017).

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    The burner might have a ratings plate with a date although that looks to have had a lot of it replaced.