Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Distribution Line(s)?

wien825
wien825 Member Posts: 8
I bought my house in 2014 and had a tank sweep and nothing was found. Now that I'm selling my house, this line in my basement was found, and am being told it's a fuel distribution line, so buyers want to bring in GPR scan, to scan the garage floor. Does anyone know what this line is? It's coming up through the concrete in 2 places, however, its connected like a loop. Thanks!

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    There was most likely an oil tank sitting on the floor where those lines come out of the floor.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    No splice in the lines. If there was a oil tank there you would see fill and vent line holes patched on the walls
    HVACNUT
  • wien825
    There was a tank in the basement... but why is the line a loop, with both ends cemented in the ground? Thanks!
  • wien825
    the basement walls are patched about 15 feet away from this line, where the basement tank was. But buyers are still convinced there's a hidden underground tank, due to this specific fuel line
  • mattmia2
    Oh, I thought it was 2 pieces, but it is just one piece in a loop. Maybe someone put it there for a future feed to something.
  • wien825
    so this "loop", doesn't indicate to you, underground tank? And also probably did not belong to the basement one either? House was built 1963
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @wien825

It points to an oil tank only because of the size of the copper tubing.

If the house was built in 63 and the indoor tank was removed more than likely that removed tank was the original tank and there never was an underground tank.

Look around where the old tank was located and search the floor. You will probably find the oild oil line cutoff flush with the floor, same around the boiler.

You could cut the loop and put air pressure on it to see if you can find where they go but don't know what else it could be.

It is very unusual to have a unsplice loop like that
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited March 2022
    You have a dilemma. Say you find there is a tank and the seller backs out. Now you know about it and you must disclose to each prospective buyer in the future. If however you cut those lines below the surface and patch the floor so there is no evidence of those lines, who is going to know? It is a sellers market... so do you want to know?

When you cut that line and refrigerant shoots out, you will know it is not oil. If you cut that line and find water shoots out, then you will know it is not oil. If you cut that line and it smells like oil... Then you can decide the next step.

Just some random thoughts.

EDIT: What if I was pouring concrete back when the house was built and didn't know if I wanted the tank in the garage or the basement. For the cost of a roll of copper, I could decide later. After the basement tank was installed, I could just never use that copper tubing. Way back then, who'd a thunk it would be such an issue today?
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • mattmia2

You have a dilemma. Say you find there is a tank and the seller backs out. Now you know about it and you must disclose to each prospective buyer in the future. If however you cut those lines below the surface and patch the floor so there is no evidence of those lines, who is going to know? It is a sellers market... so do you want to know?

When you cut that line and refrigerant shoots out, you will know it is not oil. If you cut that line and find water shoots out, then you will know it is not oil. If you cut that line and it smells like oil... Then you can decide the next step.

What about gas?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    mattmia2 said:

What about gas?
    KA-BOOM

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    SuperTech
  • wien825
    Thanks all! I guess we'll see when they bring in the GPR scan. I just can't believe this is now becoming such a huge issue, especially since no one can confirm exactly what this loop is.
  • mattmia2
    I hope the buyer is paying for the GPR...
  • wien825
    @mattmia2 they are since its their fishing expedition. They think my garage was an addon, i dont, so thats why they think these lines go to under garage concrete floor tank
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    I hope they're offering well above your asking for that much hassle.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    wien825 said:
    the basement walls are patched about 15 feet away from this line, where the basement tank was. But buyers are still convinced there's a hidden underground tank, due to this specific fuel line
    Ask them to kindly prove it's a fuel line.
    I would've been curious in 2014. How many times have you tripped on it and wondered what it was?
  • wien825
    @HVACNUT you wouldve thought my inspector wouldve pointed it out but didnt. And obviously Ive seen it but as a first time home buyer never even crossed my mind to question what it was. Can kick myself now!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    It's unusual to say the least. @wien825

Did you find any evidence of the old lines from the indoor tank?
  • wien825
    @EBEBRATT-Ed I did not, I only see the patches in the foundation. The basement tank leaked in 2008, and there was a cleanup/excavation, so maybe those lines were excavated? The furnace was also replaced. I don't see anything else in the floor. Mystery continues! I won't be able to sleep until this GPR is over with

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    I would cut it out and paint it over. If crude starts gushing, you could be rich.