Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Spout Reach

Options
taylorgeo
taylorgeo Member Posts: 74
So I'm putting in a new drop-in stainless steel kitchen sink and faucet, most likely a pull-down. The inside of the sink measures 16 inches from back to front.

What size spout reach should I shoot for?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,326
    edited March 2022
    Options
    That's sort of a "how big is a box" question. You want the spout -- housed -- to be well over the sink, but with enough room for the chef's pots to fit in without too much trouble. But you want it to be able, pulled out, to at least spray the far corners. Couldn't possibly give you a hard number.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 742
    Options
    Usually I shoot for the spout to be directly over the drain as a nominal measurement. So in your case 8 inches plus your backset to where the faucet is on the apron of the sink.
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
    Larry Weingarten
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    Options
    delcrossv said:

Usually I shoot for the spout to be directly over the drain as a nominal measurement. So in your case 8 inches plus your backset to where the faucet is on the apron of the sink.

I guess you like water being deflected back up in your face...
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    With a pull down faucet it really isn't that big of a deal. I'm not sure they come in different reach lengths
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mattmia2
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,707
    Options
    My kitchen sink drains are near the back center. I never considered them to be meaningful when choosing a faucet.

I would go for what looks and feels right to you. I hate it when faucets don't have enough reach so to me, anything that gets it more into the working area of the sink is better.

But, maybe you won't like how that looks, or it won't be practical to your use.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • mattmia2
    Options
    The pull out helps you reach all the corners as @hot_rod said. You want to make sure it is far enough from the back of the sink so you aren't hitting your hands on the sink when washing them.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

The pull out helps you reach all the corners as @hot_rod said. You want to make sure it is far enough from the back of the sink so you aren't hitting your hands on the sink when washing them.

I hate bathroom sinks with faucets like that.
    I've never understood why it's even a problem that exists. They know where the faucet is going, how is it only an inch from the back of the sink!?!?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    mattmia2
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

mattmia2 said:

I've never understood why it's even a problem that exists. They know where the faucet is going, how is it only an inch from the back of the sink!?!?

I used some high neck bar faucets on our lavs at the last house. Easy to wash hands under and they swivel.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ChrisJ
  • mattmia2
    edited March 2022
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

mattmia2 said:

The distance the holes are from the back of the sink varies with different sinks so you need to coordinate and no one involved in commercial work is paying attention to that. Sometimes someone will care about how it looks, but never if it is functional. In residential work it is the same plumbers that can't follow the boiler piping diagram or homeowners that won't return something or bought from someone that won't take returns.
  • delcrossv
    edited March 2022
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

delcrossv said:

I've never had that problem. Straight shot down the drain. If it's less than the drain distance then it splashes out.
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    delcrossv said:

mattmia2 said:

delcrossv said:

I've never had that problem. Straight shot down the drain. If it's less than the drain distance then it splashes out.
    I've seen some strainers that will do as he's saying.....
    What's even more fun is when there's a random spoon that for some odd reason is at the perfect angle to piss me off.

mattmia2
  • delcrossv
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

delcrossv said:

mattmia2 said:

delcrossv said:

I've seen some strainers that will do as he's saying.....
    What's even more fun is when there's a random spoon that for some odd reason is at the perfect angle to piss me off.

The spoon will do it every time. 👍
    mattmia2