Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Skimming a repiped boiler - how to maintain temperature???

Options
Cto
Cto Member Posts: 13
The contractor who installed my boiler agreed to repipe it.  It now needs to be skimmed.  I asked them to install a nipple and a full port ball valve and cap.  See picture below. I am excited about this valve and I intend to skim in the near future because the boiler is clearly gross and the water is bouncing wildly.  The instruction manual tells me that I should heat and maintain the water to 180 to 200 degrees while maintaining a continuous flow of slow water.  I am also supposed to not allow boiler to steam. 

Okay, the only way I know to turn the boiler on/off is the thermostat. Can someone please explain to me  how I maintain this heat for several hours?  Is it just turning the thermostat on like one degree at a time and then turning it off after 5 min?   

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,669
    Options
    leave the thermostat turned up and turn it on and off with the disconnect switch at the boiler
    CtoethicalpaulEdTheHeaterMan
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    The disconnect is the switch with the red cover in your photo, just in case that wasn’t clear.

Maintaining the temp isn’t a big deal.  Get it hot, shut it off while you skim for 30-60 minutes, then fire again for a few minutes.  The amount of water you are adding over that length of time won’t cool it significantly.  For skimming the water flows very slowly.  You want a stream big enough it’s not dripping, and flows steady.  Think pencil sized or smaller.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    CtoethicalpaulEdTheHeaterMan
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,543
    Options
    @Cto

You run the boiler and when the steam pipe just starts to get hot so you can't hold it shut the burner down and start skimming.

The skim water should be the diameter of a pencil.

The water will stay plenty hot don't worry about reheating it
    Ctoethicalpaul
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    If the water starts coming out cold, you know you've skimmed enough :sweat_smile:

Seriously though, after a couple 5 gallon buckets' worth you should be all set. Then maybe skim again after a week.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Cto
    Cto Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Do I have to sit and watch the skimming happen?  I am going to go pick up some home Depot buckets later and start this today.... Maybe.  Like can I work upstairs and come down to check things every 30 min or sooner? 
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 856
    Options
    NO! You cannot leave the boiler area while skimming, this is especially true if your doing it with the boiler firing!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,543
    Options
    If the boiler is not running and is shut down at the switch you don't need to watch it. Worse case is you get some water on the floor
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

leave the thermostat turned up and turn it on and off with the disconnect switch at the boiler

You got to use your head in the big stuff!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

mattmia2
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Can you show us where the skim port is actually connected to the boiler?
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    You only need one bucket :) You can empty it when it fills up. I'm here for this kind of intricate puzzle ;)
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el