Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

using ball valves with shraders for future multi zone expansion

Options
mthmlf84
mthmlf84 Member Posts: 27
I have a multi zone lg system being installed in a converted barn and we are planning an extension to the barn where a split should also be installed, eventually. Since that’s not happening that soon but we want the system up and running ASAP, is it advisable to connect the liquid and suction lines we need to the branch distributor box that distributes refrigerant and current to the indoor units and terminate them with ball valves with shrader valves, with the shrader valves on the side of the future units so those can be properly evacuated and leak tested once it’s time to hook them up? 
See drawing for what I mean. 
the closed system with valves would be leak tested and evacuated as normal, commissioned, and eventually the new unit would be connected, refrigerant charge adjusted, etc.

edit: the square in the middle is the branch box. 3/4 suction 3/8 liquid in, 1/4 liquid 3/8 suctions out +comm wires

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    That's fine. I'd consider ball valves on the current heads too—no telling when you might need to take one out of service but don't want the whole system down.

I just went through this on a 30 head VRF system, where the engineer didn't spec 'em & the owner "couldn't afford" them. <sigh>

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    I assume we are talking of ACR rated ball valves?
    mthmlf84
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    The OP mentioned valves with schraders, so I think so.
    JUGHNE
  • mthmlf84
    mthmlf84 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    yes i was thinking of getting the RLS ones-->

https://www.supplyhouse.com/RLS-RPBV038-3-8-ODM-Ball-Valve-w-Schrader-Valve

it just seems like a good idea to put one at everey unit even, right, but I don't know if they're known to leak over time or if there's certain brands to avoid.

It's a multi head system with something like 13 lbs of 410a in it, sure seems like a good insurance policy to add service valves in case something is wrong with one unit.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    Options
    I would use a valve with a flare cap that goes over the ball stem when it is not being operated. I would also cap the open side of the ball valve until you are going to add the new zone.
    mthmlf84
  • ayetchvacker
    ayetchvacker Member Posts: 63
    Options
    I would braze capped stubs onto the AHU side of the valves as well just in case the valve fails or leaks slightly. If it does at least you’ll know by putting a gauge on the port with the valve closed. Great idea. 
    Fixer of things 
    Lead Service Technician
    HVAC/R
    ‘09Moto Guzzi V7
    ‘72CB350
    ’83Porsche944
    JUGHNE