Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostat off but baseboards still heating

Hi all - 

I have turned off my thermostat and the baseboards are still very hot and the temperature continues to go up. I have a Weil Mclane and there doesn’t appear to be any error messages on the unit. Any suggestions? 

Thank you in advance 

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    First question is... zone valves? Is one of them stuck open?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    HomerJSmith
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    Second Question: Has this just started happening?
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    HomerJSmith
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    What kind of thermostat? Only one thermostat? Does the boiler continue to fire when this happens? There are many reasons why this happens. There can be sys design issues, long term problem or a failure of some component in the sys, short term problem.

Ed's question is important.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @Heater1

As the others have asked we need to know how many zones you have and wether the system is zoned by zone valves or pumps.

If it's zone valves you could have a bad or stuck zone valve, thermostat or zone wiring problem

If you zone by pumps you could have a bad flow check valve
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited March 2022
    I know the answer without any other information required

Question: "I have turned off my thermostat and the baseboards are still very hot and the temperature continues to go up. I have a Weil Mclane and there doesn’t appear to be any error messages on the unit. Any suggestions? "

Answer: Something is wrong. Suggest you look into the problem!

That was easy, I'm glad I could help.

Since Weil-McLain only made like over 1000 different heaters in the past 100 years, and there are over 1000 different configurations in which they can be installed, there are only 1,000,000 different combinations that we could select from. I think that we might need to get a smidge more information to give a more specific answer.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics