Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pinging noise.

vladimars
vladimars Member Posts: 2
So when my boiler turns on my radiators, (particularly in both my bedroom and my daughters room, directly above our bedroom), make loud pinging noses. Loud as in, loud enough to wake me up even after living in the home for a year. I've tried to bleed them, and got not much air, if any. The fins are slightly bent in places, i've tried straightening them, but its pretty hard to get them all straight. Do you guys think its air or the fins expanding. its not a loud banging noise, which is normally air. Much more small pings and clicks. Is there a tool to straighten these radiator fins? I see combs, but I think those are meant for stuff like AC units. Or would it be better to just replace the couple of problem radiators, not sure if that is something your supposed to replace occasionally. i'm sure they are at least 20 years old.

Comments

• bobbob
    bobbob Member Posts: 70
    Don't know if this helps: I have cast iron radiators for which I recently bought new vents. When these vents close and open they emit a ping or doink sound. To me it is music because it lets me know they are working. I did not put new vents in my BR, and if I had I am sure that it would be plenty loud to wake me up.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    That sort of noise is usually expansion. How are the fin tubes supported? The tubes themselves must be able to slide freely on whatever is supporting them. Try seeing if you can lift the tubes off the supports and slipping a piece of plastic, such as from a milk jug, between the support and the tube. For that matter, sometimes a squirt of some non-evaporating lube -- one of the silicones perhaps -- may help.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    edited March 2022
    I find that needle nose pliers works good for straightening the baseboard fins.

Sound like expansion noise. Normally the fins rest on plastic shoes that snap on the bottom of fins and rub on the shroud supports as the pipe expands because of the hot water moving thru the pipe.