Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Maintenance Alert

Options
bobbob
bobbob Member Posts: 70
My bride alerted me a couple days ago that there was a slight little leak at the water line that fills our toilet tank. I checked and didn't see any moisture, BUT I did find that the flexible braided line was stiff as a brick. I am at the age that when I think something is 3 or 4 years old it is more likely to be 15 or 16. I didn't take any chances (I will explain why shortly) and ran out and got a new one and installed it immediately.
Several years ago (maybe 15 or 16) We had friends who had a plastic line to their upstairs toilet break while they were both at work. It was one of those small diameter gray plastic lines. Anyhow, they called to hire me to fix the mess. The drywall ceilings were all down and the carpet was soaked on all 3 floors. He had built the house himself. It was a sickening sight! I don't know if you can still buy that type of line anymore, but I decided right then and there to replace my line, since I had used the same gray line. I now realize that it might be a good idea to replace them perhaps every 5 years if they need it or not.
My homeowner insurance company once sent me an article which told how many homes get flooded every year because the washing machine hose burst. It was an incredible number. Just a reminder to all of you in case your water lines and hoses might also be older than you think!
ayetchvacker

Comments

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    Sound like you had the gray PB tubing. Personally I only use Fluidmaster metal braided lines and have not had any problems with them. Chrome plated tube is better overall, but is hard to get and a little tougher to install.
    One thing I will say is to never use the plastic tubing for ice maker lines as they have a tendency to get brittle over time, and can physically break in half when that ice maker solenoid closes.
    Rick
    Derheatmeister
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    And keep the washing machine valves shut when your not using the machine. you would be surprised how many people leave them on 24/7
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,167
    Options
    And keep the washing machine valves shut when your not using the machine. you would be surprised how many people leave them on 24/7
    Ed is this still a concern if the braided hoses are installed? 
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
    Options
    SuperTech said:

Ed is this still a concern if the braided hoses are installed? 

I would say it is.
    I still have seen braided lines burst. The inside is still rubber.
    Derheatmeister
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,545
    Options
    Two words: Moen Flo
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    @SuperTech maybe, maybe not. I just think it's good practice, avoids a problem
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    How often do these burst? Serious question.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-8-in-O-D-x-20-in-Copper-Toilet-Riser-1-20DL-CF/100202750

I just put a new one of these in when I installed our new toilet. Old one had the same (put in my me 18 years ago), it just wasn't long enough for the new toilet.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ethicalpaul
  • JDHW
    JDHW Member Posts: 74
    Options
    Interesting comments regarding flexible hoses. I have a Bosch dishwasher that has an unusual arrangement. The fitting that connects to the house plumbing is an electrically operated valve so that the hose is only pressurised when operating. The transparent hose has the wires inside it ! :-(

John
  • heathead
    heathead Member Posts: 234
    Options
    Please tell me more about the Bosch Dishwasher Hose. I spent for ever installing mine with copper loop behind dishwasher. I almost broke down and just used a stainless flex line. They make a great dishwasher, if it leaks everything is contained in the pan of the dishwasher. That pan makes it hard to keep things tidy when inserting back into the cabinets. But if no leaks are the game that is the dishwasher to use.
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529
    edited February 2022
    Options
    bobbob said:

...Several years ago (maybe 15 or 16) We had friends who had a plastic line to their upstairs toilet break while they were both at work. It was one of those small diameter gray plastic lines...I don't know if you can still buy that type of line anymore, but I decided right then and there to replace my line, since I had used the same gray line. I now realize that it might be a good idea to replace them perhaps every 5 years if they need it or not...

Sound like you had the gray PB tubing...

I wonder how resistant to breaks the more modern gray plastic (PEX) risers are:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-8-in-O-D-x-20-in-PEX-Toilet-Riser-with-Plastic-Compression-Sleeve-P1-20DL-F/100552807
    Might be the last toilet riser ever needed if experience with other PEX pipes is indicative. Anyone used them?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,709
    Options
    ...Several years ago (maybe 15 or 16) We had friends who had a plastic line to their upstairs toilet break while they were both at work. It was one of those small diameter gray plastic lines...I don't know if you can still buy that type of line anymore, but I decided right then and there to replace my line, since I had used the same gray line. I now realize that it might be a good idea to replace them perhaps every 5 years if they need it or not...
    Sound like you had the gray PB tubing...
    I wonder how resistant to breaks the more modern gray plastic (PEX) risers are: https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-8-in-O-D-x-20-in-PEX-Toilet-Riser-with-Plastic-Compression-Sleeve-P1-20DL-F/100552807 Might be the last toilet riser ever needed if experience with other PEX pipes is indicative. Anyone used them?
    Depends
    PEX will not tolerate direct sunlight for long.

The manufacturers of PEX even warn about indirect sunlight and UV from indoor lights.

So to me, selling something that's PEX to be installed out in the open is interesting.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JDHW
    Options
    heathead@

The model is a Series 6 dishwasher (UK) bought about 5 years ago. Couple of pictures, first is the valve connecting to the house plumbing. The valve is quite tall - picture is end on,

second is the detailed model details
  • JDHW
    Options
    heathead@
    The hose is not a separate item - it is hard connected into the dishwasher. You can get electric valves for controlling cold water supply so I guess you could install a valve and a timer. Press a button that opens the valve and provides supply to the dishwasher for say 2 hours and then cuts off. That's a lot better than having a flexible hose pressurised all the time.

John
  • bobbob
    bobbob Member Posts: 70
    Options
    Then I wonder about valves failing and causing worse problems and expensive replacement...
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    I did put in in of those Bosch dishwashers with the inline valve. The problem I had was since every dishwasher sold around here is plumbed in under the kitchen sink, I had to cut a very large hole to get that valve through. But it is a cool idea.
    Biggest pet peeve I have with the new dishwashers is they now have a female garden hose connection you have to hook up to, which means if you are not paying attention, you now have to drive all the way back to town to get the adapter. I want to know what kind of fool engineer ( I wanted to use more colorful language, but restrained myself) came up with that incredibly horrible idea. Really, a garden hose adapter!
    Rick
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    edited February 2022
    Options
    If I were to turn off my washer hoses after using it, all my toilets and dishwasher would get jealous. Oh and every sink too.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,709
    Options
    bobbob said:
    Then I wonder about valves failing and causing worse problems and expensive replacement...
    Valves need to be exercised several times a year.  This includes the main shutoff to a house of applicable and all stops under sinks, toilets etc.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    MikeAmann