Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

B-Vent Chimney (Box Constructed, Vinyl Sided)....Need a Little Help

Hi Everyone,

I found this site a while back. Seems like a great community of people. I don't have a heating problem, rather an issue with my chimney structure. It is one of those vinyl sided boxes with flue pipe in it that is seen on half the houses in NJ. The box has 2 sets of flue vents....gas fireplace has a flue and the gas fired boiler and hot water heater has another flue in the box structure.

Anytime it rains I am getting water into my fireplace, both in the firebox and outside the firebox as i can hear the pinging sound of water dripping and I find water in the basement as well (the area under where the fireplace is located). I've had a roofing/siding company check to see if its a flashing issue and they tell me all is good. They suspect its from the top of the structure either from the cover or the cap.

I've called a few chimney companies and so far none of them can help me because its not a masonry structure. Who builds and works on these things?? They are everywhere in NJ. I am in Bergen County. Any recommendations on who to call??

Thank you, Howard


  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 22,100
    The chimney folks are likely to be quite right -- it most likely is a combination of either no cap or a damaged cap on that flue plus a flashing issue at the top of the chimney. A good roofer should be able to handle the flashing issue -- keeping in mind that it is on the top of the chimney, which they won't like -- but I'm not sure who you could get to check and repair the flue cap; most likely the installer who put the fireplace in.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Howie718
    Howie718 Member Posts: 16
    Thank you Jamie. I have no idea who installed the fireplace, but I will give a local place that sells them a call. Both caps are on, but yes something must be leaking from up there. Maybe they can give me some help.

    Also, any idea on how i can get the entire thing inspected to ensure there is no water damage/rot to the structure and that the flue pipes for both the fireplace and the boiler are all okay? I honestly don't know if this is new or has been going on for years and has developed into something noticeable.

  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,005
    If you go to CSIA.org you can punch in your Zipcode to find a list of Certified Chimney Sweeps. Tell then you're looking for a 'chase cover'. See attached brochure for one of many popular fabricators of custom chase covers. Note that with the water penetration you've described, you probably have significant rusting of the unit and mold/ rot inside the chase. It should be opened, and a level III inspection performed by a pro.
  • Howie718
    Howie718 Member Posts: 16
    Bob, thank you for your help