Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Proper maintenance for draining rusty water?

Options
bipbap
bipbap Member Posts: 191
I know I’m supposed to drain out some rusty water every so often from the boiler.

How often should this be done?
Should it be done while the system is firing or not?
Do I just drain the water until it looks clear?
Anything else I’m missing?

Thanks in advance for the advice- it’s a single pipe steam gas system.

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    Once a year when you drain your boiler to test your (I assume) probe-type LWCO. Do it when it starts running (not when it's already making steam) to make testing the LWCO easier.

But to remove the assumption, what type of LWCO do you have?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,544
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Have you ever wondered why you have Rusty water ?
  • bipbap
    Options
    Good question- I just always thought that was normal to have some rusty water? Maybe just from the water running back to the boiler through 100 year old pipes?
    Or I assume it has to do with rusting in the boiler that could occur with adding make up water too often?
    I honestly don’t know but I’m trying to learn.

• ethicalpaul
    Options
    Yes, that's probably why. You can't avoid it completely of course, but some folks myself included like to add some treatment like Rectorseal 8-way to get the PH level up to about 10-11 which reduces corrosion in iron and steel.
  • Don_175
    Don_175 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Yes, that's probably why. You can't avoid it completely of course, but some folks myself included like to add some treatment like Rectorseal 8-way to get the PH level up to about 10-11 which reduces corrosion in iron and steel.

I know I should titrate to a ph around 10-11 but what would be a ballpark amount to add per gallon for maintenance? As you know, I have just skimmed and want to limit corrosion. The water is really clear. Thanks 
  • ethicalpaul
    edited February 2022
    Options
    If you have 8-way I'd recommend starting with 8 ounces (total) then measure PH and bump it until you get there. Never follow the instructions on any treatment, they will overdose you
  • bipbap
    Options
    Thanks for the advice-
    What do you think of the original questions about draining out some water periodically?
  • ethicalpaul
    Options
    Why do you want to?
  • bipbap
    Options
    Oh I had always thought that was just what was done- maybe to clear out some rusty water at the bottom? Honestly I don’t know why, it’s just something I had been told before to do and thought it was commonly done.
    I was just trying to find out the specifics of how/when to do it.
    Is this not a normal maintenance thing to do?
  • ethicalpaul
    Options
    It is done by some. As I said above, I think draining it partially in order to check your LWCO once per year is plenty.

You already know that fresh water introduction into your boiler causes corrosion, (to your credit!) so it's good to limit that.
  • Derheatmeister
    Options
    Opinions are plentiful on this subject..
    I would start by checking your system PH with a decent calibrated PH meter..
    IMO i would like to see the PH on the low end for the metals involved in your system which is about 10.
    The higher you go With the PH the more Scale you will produce,and the less efficient your system will be..
    If you decide to go to low ,corrosion in form of rust will take place..
    The key is to find a happy balance on the PH..

In closed loop Low temperature/Chemical free systems we use sacrifical anodes to help with the self-alkalization process,which ideally is between 8.2 and 10..

I have seen that some individuals that are recommending PH up to 14.. :s
    Frequent additions/Changeout will indroduce minerals and O2 which can have devistating effects on your system.

Hope you find your "happy place" without Rust or scale..
  • franzsf
    franzsf Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Just want to note that if the OP has a float-type LWCO, it's better to test it more than once a year. I have a float-type and test it once a week... but the point is verifying operation, not about draining water from the boiler. Also second the judicious use of 8-way.
  • ethicalpaul
    Options
    Yeah, don't drink it
  • Derheatmeister
    Options

Yeah, don't drink it

Or...If you read the entire Safety Data Sheet..You should stay as far away from this product as you can.
    If this product is filled into the system and the Rad vents allow some of the vapors to enter the home...Not so sure i would want to be subjected to these Chemicals..Has there been any lawsuits over this protential issue?
    If you have Autoimmune issues this product could have devistating effects on your health !
  • Gilmorrie
    Gilmorrie Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Quite a while back, I became disgusted with the dark brown color of my hot-water boiler water. So, I flushed it. Then the water was clear - so I, at least temporarily, felt better. Within a few days or weeks, the water was right back where it started. I think there are a couple of principles at work here.

First, anytime you add fresh water to your system, it brings along loads of dissolved and entrained air (including oxygen) - which is a prime cause of corrosion.

Another is Le Chatlier’s principle, also known as “The Equilibrium Law" principle. (Google it or consult a high-school chemistry student.) What it means is, that corrosion products that wind up in the boiler water, as their concentration increases, inhibits further corrosion. So, flushing is counter-productive.
    Derheatmeister
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I use Steamaster.
    As far as I know the only thing leaving my boiler is distilled water so the treatment never leaves.  Testing the TDS of my wet return shows how pure the distilled water leaving is.

Steamaster has an oxygen scavenger in it as well as a corrosion inhibitor.  It also has something in it that causes minerals to fall out of the water as well as keeps them from sticking to the metal and stay all the bottom of the boiler which get removed when you clean out the boiler.  

I would never run my boiler without treatment and I certainly do not consider proper water treatment to be a "cure all".  They do not fix improper piping etc.  They reduce corrosion and mineral build up.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    ethicalpaulHap_HazzardKC_Jones
  • ethicalpaul
    Options

Yeah, don't drink it

Or...If you read the entire Safety Data Sheet..You should stay as far away from this product as you can.
    If this product is filled into the system and the Rad vents allow some of the vapors to enter the home...Not so sure i would want to be subjected to these Chemicals..Has there been any lawsuits over this protential issue?
    If you have Autoimmune issues this product could have devistating effects on your health !
    There's no need to panic. I've looked at the ingredients and safety sheets of several boiler treatments and they are all common enough things that are used in food additives and household cleaners. It's not going to hurt you when used as directed as a boiler treatment.
    Derheatmeister
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    Options
    Yeah, don't drink it
    Or...If you read the entire Safety Data Sheet..You should stay as far away from this product as you can. If this product is filled into the system and the Rad vents allow some of the vapors to enter the home...Not so sure i would want to be subjected to these Chemicals..Has there been any lawsuits over this protential issue? If you have Autoimmune issues this product could have devistating effects on your health !
    There's no need to panic. I've looked at the ingredients and safety sheets of several boiler treatments and they are all common enough things that are used in food additives and household cleaners. It's not going to hurt you when used as directed as a boiler treatment.
    The main ingredient in Steamaster is used to cure bacon........
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    ethicalpaul