Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to unlock this radiator valve?

Options
pieIX
pieIX Member Posts: 12
How to unlock this radiator valve?

The valve doesn't turn either way.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,338
    Options
    Try backing off the packing nut -- the hex just under the handle -- just a little and see if you can get anywhere.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    edited February 2022
    Options
    It's a butterfly valve , quarter turn on and quarter turn off . That metal rod attached to the underside of the handle was there to catch the two cast stops on the body of the valve ... Until someone unknowing over closed the valve and forced the rod out of the way .

There was an error rendering this rich post.

EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,867
    Options
    it is so old it may not operate without one of these keys:

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

delcrossvCanucker
  • pieIX
    edited February 2022
    Options
    So, if I understand what Big_Ed_4 wrote. If I use a screwdriver and I insert it at the red arrow below the metal rod. And I put pressure in the direction of the blue arrow to bend the metal rod. I would be able to turn the handle in the direction of the green arrow? And can I balance the radiator that way?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,867
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Yes that may work to turn the handle. But can you turn the handle in the other direction currently? if you can, then just turn it the other way. As far as balancing using that valve, you may find it difficult to get accurate balancing.

Is the room too hot where that radiator is located? Try covering the radiator with a blanket. Don't worry about a fire, that radiator will not get hot enough to burn the blanket. If that solves the problem, you can have a radiator cover made to fit that radiator and close off the opening to reduct the amount of heat from that radiator.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• pieIX
    Options
    No, the valve doesn't turn either way. This is why I thick it is block by the rod.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,678
    Options
    If you take the handle off you may be able to take that tab off the stem, put the stem back where it belongs between the stops, and put the tab back on.
  • Big Ed_4
    Options
    If it does not turn , then it needs to be taken apart , clean and greased . The system pressure needs to be dropped .... If the radiator is working and the valve is not leaking , then just leave it alone .. It is not a valve to adjust flow . It is on or off ... The rod and stop is to set it in either direction . On or off...

• pieIX
    edited February 2022
    Options
    If I can not balance the radiator with this valves, what would be the ideal temperature in the input, output and especially the difference between the two?

EDIT:
    This is the radiator.

• Big Ed_4
    Options
    the ideal input temperature depends on the heat loss of the room . The heat loss increases as the outside temperture decreases below the room temperture ... Since the radiator is a convector , you can balance radiator with temperture and air flow ...