Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sometimes you just need to walk away.

Options
Double D
Double D Member Posts: 442
  I went out on a no heat call in a Hotel which was turned into a rooming house. The Safegard 500 was failed. After replacing the control and getting it up and running, they let me know the heating in the building is very uneven. I told them I need to see the entire system. After following the mains through the building and back to the boiler room, here is what I found. 

The 4" system take-off runs the length of the building in a counterflow pitch. At the bottom of the header there is a 2" drain for that main. At the end of the counterflow main there are 2-3" parallel flow mains feeding radiation across the front and sides of the building. After the last radiator on each 3" parallel flow main it reduces to 2" and ties back into the 4" system take-off with welded connections. There is a single Hoffman 4A at the top of one of the risers in the back of the building and there is a Hoffman 75 on one of the radiators on the 3rd floor in the front of the building. I have not measured the radiation but I suspect the boiler is undersized. I could be wrong though. 

When I told them the 2 ends of mains need to group below the water line of the boiler and adequate main venting will need to be installed, they didn't seem to want to hear what I had to say. 

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    While those fixes won't immediately give them even heating, they will at least make it possible to balance the system. Without addressing those issues, they're going to waste a lot of time and money trying to get even heat, and probably end up giving up. You can fix a lot of things, but you can't fix stupid.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
    Double Dwmgeorge
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,713
    Options
    I don't know.
    It seems like it heats fine from my house. I'm betting it heats fine from yours too @Double D

Sadly, such people aren't worth your time or effort. All you can do is recommend.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Double Ddelcrossv
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    Sometimes (most of the time) you get it up and running they don't care about anything else
    bucksnort