Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam from chimney

Options
Don_175
Don_175 Member Posts: 126
Have a 6 year old boiler.  It has added about 3 gallons of water since the season started. With this super cold weather we are having in Ohio, it has been adding about a gallon per month. I just happened to be outside recently and saw some steam around chimney. Not a huge amount but it is visible. But it’s also been about 20 degrees. Is that normal? How much should one expect to see as far as water usage if a boiler has a leak above water line? Thanks 

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Some condensation and visible steam is quite normal, particularly in colder, more humid weather. If you are only adding a gallon a month, you don't have a problem.

To answer your question directly, a leak above the water line is likely to result in gallons --that's; plural -- per day.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Don_175
    Don_175 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Thanks Jamie. That’s what I was thinking but I’d never seen steam coming out of chimney before. Must be because it’s been so cold. 
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 917
    Options
    Gas fired systems will show visible vapor at the chimney or vent in cold weather, due to the very high moisture content in the exhaust gases. This is normal.

Bburd
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    What you want to see is a clear space between the top of the chimney and where the condensate starts ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

MikeAmann