Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flush (clean) the wet return

Options
Hello, 
I found the wet return, as many people have suggested i check in the other 4 threads i made. Before we make the strike to call a plumber, is a plumber necessary to clean this. How would i flush/clean it. I will attach some images. Hopefully this could be figured out

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Is the return plugged ?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Fmassarotto_9
    Fmassarotto_9 Member Posts: 111
    Options
    Big Ed_4 said:
    Is the return plugged ?

the boiler is consuming a lot of water. i'm adding up to a gallon every 3 days. The vents are new the radiators are pitched, a little smoke comes out the chimney but that's normal i heard. i see chimneys smoking every morning going to work. nothing outta the ordinary. i assume it could be plugged based on what i've read on other posts here and on google. If the boiler is off the water level doesn't budge. When the boiler is on the water in the sight glass drops dramatically so i suspect the water isn't coming back 

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    edited February 2022
    Options
    What type vents ? Always instal good float type vents .I don't feel you have a plugged return . You would know it with a sound of a hammer on start of cycle ,and how much water could it hold ? . Weil McLain boiler uses o-rings to seal it's sections would be my concern if you covered your bases .

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Fmassarotto_9
    Options
    Big Ed_4 said:
    What type vents ? Always instal good float type vents .I don't feel you have a plugged return . You would know it with a sound of a hammer on start of cycle ,and how much water could it hold ? . Weil McLain boiler uses o-rings to seal it's sections would be my concern if you covered your bases .

i got vari valves. all radiators. no main vents tho, i looked at all the piping couldn't find them 

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    If you are adding water at the rate you mention, you have a leak. It is, probably, not a very big leak, and thus it may be hard to find -- but if you are adding water, the old water has to be going somewhere.

All radiator valves. Packing tight? All unios --tight, no drips, no staining? All threaded connections -- no drips, no staining?

Cleaning the wet return -- while always a good thing -- isn't going to help the water loss.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fmassarotto_9
    Options
    If you are adding water at the rate you mention, you have a leak. It is, probably, not a very big leak, and thus it may be hard to find -- but if you are adding water, the old water has to be going somewhere. All radiator valves. Packing tight? All unios --tight, no drips, no staining? All threaded connections -- no drips, no staining? Cleaning the wet return -- while always a good thing -- isn't going to help the water loss.

idk where the leak could be. the vents have tape and tightened good. everything near the boiler seems to be in order. the only thing i can think of now is it is under the floor, before it reaches the rads. i've checked well with a  flashlight. ive shut the boiler down and looked everywhere. idk where else to possibly check