Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Should my PVC flue pipe sweat?

Options
bphillips921
bphillips921 Member Posts: 22
We built a new home this fall. I noticed this winter when it got really cold (under 10 degrees Fahrenheit) that the PVC flue pipe from my furnace was sweating near where it exits the home. It's in an unfinished basement but the basement is kept at 68 degrees. I assume this is not normal, correct? How can I fix this?

If it matters, it's 2" PVC flue pipe, roughly 25ft long. The furnace is a 70K BTU furnace.

Comments

• bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 912
    edited February 2022
    Options
    One of those pipes should be the furnace’s combustion air intake, and will sweat when it’s very cold outside because its outer surface will be below the dewpoint in your warm basement. This is normal. If it causes a problem, you can insulate the pipe with something that will stand up to moisture, like closed cell foam.

Bburd
    kcoppwmgeorgeIronman
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,671
    Options
    My dad's had frost on it when it was -20F out.
    I tried to get him to insulate it but he doesn't care if it drips on the basement floor, so it is what it is.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • bphillips921
    bphillips921 Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm getting ready to finish the basement and hang drywall, so I wanted to get this figured out before that. Is there pipe insulation that big (2 inch)?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Insulation size for that pipe would be for 2" SCH 40 iron pipe or PVC
    The pipe is 2 3/8" outside diameter.
    I would only insulate it above your SR, leave the rest of it bare and even sweating on occasion. The sweat is produced by heat transfer which will slightly warm up your combustion air going into the furnace, IMO.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Closed cell 2” may be a little expensive and difficult to obtain for a HO. A couple layers of bubble wrap would probably suffice and be less expensive.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    I would leave that vent exposed at best and accessible at least. Im not wild about burying it inside where if there were an issue it would go undetected.