Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Small nozzle problems

Jon_blaney
Jon_blaney Member Posts: 316
I see random references to issues when you use an oil burner nozzle sized less the .75 GPH. When you shop for smaller boiler/furnaces, .50, .60, .65 burners are listed. So, are they a problems or is it an urban legend?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    eh? What kind of problems. Use the correct nozzle for the firing rate of the appliance, and filters...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • DJD775
    DJD775 Member Posts: 249
    Maybe you are referring to them clogging more easily? Appropriate filtration is important.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Double filtration, and clean fuel, no issues. The myth about going smaller is just that. Europe and Asia have nozzles down to .175.
    The orifice size is very small and I doubt it's a measurable difference between .75 and .65
    steve
    SuperTech
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    the smaller the nozzle the more likely they will plug. Double up on filters and or a spin on filter. Some use a "sludge pot"
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    I'm firing a .60 at 175 psi with a Riello F5 in my POS WM WTGO-3 and Tiger Loop Ultra.
    I just recently did my service after about 3 years because the vacuum gauge hit 10".
    Been that way for 20 years. No issues.