Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Small Room Heating Options

Options
dl657737
dl657737 Member Posts: 2
I'm in the process of turning one of our 3rd floor rooms into an office/mancave, but I'm struggling to find the ideal means of heating the room.

I recently bought an electric Mica convection heater for the room, but it took about 5 hours to bring the temperature up from 50 degrees to about 63. That seems like a really long time, and I'm hoping to have the temperature closer to 70, and I'll probably only use the room 8-9 hours during the week. I want something that can bring the heat up relatively quickly; perhaps within 1 hour?

I would prefer an electric source and have been doing some research. It seems the ideal type of heat (if my goal is to heat the whole room; not just the desk area) is radiant heat. I've looked at a few electric oil radiators, but every single one seems to have a few negative reviews saying they've sprung a hot oil leak, and I'm really trying to avoid that.

Are leak-proof electric radiators a thing? haha

If not, what are some other options??

The room is roughly 135 sq ft.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,334
    Options
    You should be able to do OK in that room -- unless there is almost no insulation -- with almost any electric heater capable of putting out 1500 watts.

The wattage rating is what's important. Electric heaters come in a wide range of hype --from plain vanilla barn heaters (sometimes called milkhouse heaters, because that's where we used to use them) in the 30 to 40 dollar range to really fancy things with all kinds of lovely pushbuttons and dials and lights and who knows what, with prices to match. Regardless of what the hype may say, a watt is a watt -- and a 40 dollar milkhouse heater will get you just as warm, just as fast, as a super fancy one.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 742
    Options
    I've had a variety of oil filled heaters over the years and never had one leak. Maybe the people complaining about them in reviews dropped them down the stairs or something. :smile:
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.