Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to wire new ignition module Peerless 63 series one pipe steam

Options
If you've followed my intermittent boiler failure-to-fire threads, you'll know I need to replace my ignition module, which seems to have a dry solder joint (a light tap or jiggle fixes the no-fire problem). My old ignition module -- original to the 10-year-old-Peerless 63 boiler -- has been superseded by a new ignition module. Aside from the new module requiring separate spade connectors for the PV, PV/MV, MV connections (the original one grouped those three terminals into a unitized connector) I want to double check the wiring before I hook it up -- not wanting to fry anything. As you will see in the photos, the new module (BLUE) shows the PV, PV/MV and MV as ground connections, but the original module (gray with colorful sticker) doesn't have the ground notation on the PV, PV/MV and MV connections. I'm assuming on the gray/original module, the PV, PV/MV and MV connections are in fact ground connections, but they're not labeled that way. Just want to make sure I'm not going to mess anything up when I transfer the connections from the old module to the new one. Any insights?

Also, it appears that this new module includes a function that lights up LEDs to indicate the source of problems. The LEDs are not included in the module body, so I'm assuming you have to buy a separate LED module that connects to this ignition module. That would be a great addition. Does anybody know what I would need to buy to add that LED troubleshooting display panel?

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,072
    Options
    STOP----I believe you are on the wrong track.

Post a good picture of the wiring diagram on the door of the boiler.
    Picture of the gas valve wiring including the old module.

Back up for a complete picture of the new module.

Any wiring diagrams furnished with the new module?
  • Motorapido
    Motorapido Member Posts: 307
    Options
    The new module did not come with a wiring diagram -- just the terminal names printed on the white sticker on the new module. See pics of the boiler wiring diagram, the gas valve, the existing original equipment ignition module, 24v transformer, and finally the new ignition module. Many thanks in advance for any insights.

• JUGHNE
    Options
    Can't see all of the new blue module.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,577
    Options

GND (BURNER) ON OLD MODULE GOES TO #2 GND (BURNER) ON NEW MODULE GREEN WIRE

24V VOLT ON OLD MODULE GOES TO #4 24 VOLT TH ON NEW MODULE BLACK WIRE

24V GND ON OLD MODULE GOES TO #3 24 VOLT GROUND ON NEW MODULE YELLOW WIRE

MV ON OLD MODULE RED WIRE GOES TO #6 MV ON NEW MODULE

PV ON OLD MODULE BLACK WIRE GOES TO PV #5 ON NEW MODULE

MV/PV ON OLD MODULE WHITE WIRE GOES TO #1 GROUND MV/PV

I could be wrong but that's the way it looks to me

• Motorapido
    Options
    The pic of the new blue module is cropped tight to the edges of the blue enclosure. Here is a wider pic.

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,716
    Options
    FYI: The LED on the new module looks like it's in the lower right corner on the photo above
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Motorapido
    Options
    Hey, you're right. I see it now that I have my glasses on. Nice additional feature!
    ethicalpaul
  • JUGHNE
    edited January 2022
    Options
    In case someone else does a search and finds this posting: Take Note......

Modules may look similar but have different sequence of operation.
    I checked that the poster had the correct module.
    It is the new version of what is installed the the newer boilers of this series.
    I just installed 3 of these and had those for reference.
    You must have the correct replacement.

Compare these connections with ED's above.

Take note of the last paragraph.......caution.

New 1-2-3 are grounds (common side of transformer)

1 is gas valve ground which is MV/PV --white out of the 3 wire connector
    2 is burner ground--green
    3 is 24 v ground---yellow from transformer

4 is 24 v hot---black....coming from safety controls.

5 is PV (pilot valve coil)---the black out of the 3 wire connector.....you need to put a
    3/16 female spade connector on this wire (smaller to avoid confusion later).

6 is MV (main gas valve)---red out of the 3 wire connector

7&8 not used

10 is high voltage spark combination flame sensor---big spark wire.

You must have the PV connected with a 3/16 connector......this is to avoid switching the PV and MV wires in the future.

CAUTION..IF switched you would be trying to light the main burner before the pilot.....serious issue.....major roll out and blow back.....as in major danger!

Your LED is on the upper right side of the module. BTW
  • Motorapido
    Options
    A zillion thanks, everybody. I installed the new module and it's working perfectly. Jughne, thanks for pointing out the purpose of the 3/16 smaller-than-the-rest terminal. I had only 1/4 female connectors on hand, so I used a 1/4 on it for the time being, and for sure I connected the proper wire to that terminal. For safety's sake, I'll buy a pack of 3/16 female connectors and change that one so that some goofus (me) can't accidentally connect it to the wrong lug in the future. You all just saved me the frustration of emergency boiler repair service calls and all the dough associated, plus probably a callback or two.