Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Recommendation of an cheap, electronic, programmable, foolproof thermostat.

Options
Looking for something that works with a steam boiler. 

Basic programmable for tenant use. 

Thanks!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    Pretty much any of the Honeywell Home series will work, and there are others. Just check the manual and make sure that it can be set for steam... or one cycle per hous.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    I would not put programable tstats in rental units.
    Most programable ones end up set on permeant "hold".

Or they try programing it and have issues of not noticing the AM and PM times etc.
    PIA.
    Hopefully you have a C wire and batteries both.

Honeywell Pro 5000, only 4 buttons, installer programable max high temp and min low temp. Large read out.
  • Bodycount
    Bodycount Member Posts: 39
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I agree with installing the programmable t-stat. 

I prefer not to, but the tenant requested one. 

When they move out I’m reinstalling the round analog , mercury switch stat that I keep. 

Can you provide more info on the “permanent hold” situation?
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Go for a wireless thermostat that has wifi so you can monitor/control it with an app. I have a Honeywell that has a control unit in the basement, a wifi gateway connected to a router and a battery powered thermostat that can be put anywhere your heart's desire. It works great for a rental, so I could figure out the best location for the tstat. It's a bit pricey, but worth every dollar, since I don't live in the house.

Sidebar, in my apartments, when the tenant in the apartment that has the tstat does a lot of cooking, she moves the thermostat further away from the kitchen to allow the heat to operate. It's a small apartment with a 6 foot wide opening between the kitchen and living room.

What are the views on using a setback? Cost versus comfort?
  • Bodycount
    Bodycount Member Posts: 39
    edited January 2022
    Options
    It would be great to monitor the tstat from the basement. 

What make model are you using?

I don’t maintain my own Wi-Fi at this property but I have use of the tenants.