Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil McLain Ultra 230 heat exchanger condensate corrosion and leak

Options
tigerdrvr
tigerdrvr Member Posts: 2
Found water puddling under the boiler and upon inspection found a corroded hole next to the condensate drain. Boiler was installed in 2006 and is running 12 zone system and heat exchanger for domestic hot water. System is using glycol and I don't have any reason to believe there has been introduction of corrosive elements. There is a trap in the condensate drain piping. Not sure if the drain area is installed with a stainless steel cup.

Any idea if WM is standing behind these expensive units? If not is it even worth trying to repair or am I looking at a replacement?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,318
    Options
    I doubt very much there's a warranty claim on that. 14 years is a good long time. And I hate to say this, but corrosion happens... to everything.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    tigerdrvr
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    That is classic on those units. Happens a lot. You can try to clean it up and install some epoxy/ JB weld on it. The real danger is that the exhaust is running out that area. I hope there is a CO detector...
    SuperTechtigerdrvr
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
    Options
    Off the top of my heat it was a 10 year heat exchanger warranty. To swap that out is still much less than half the cost of new. But you end up with other parts that are a bit older. I really like how dependable that boiler was, but the aluminum not liking the acidic condensate sorta made it a deal breaker.

I would listen to Kcopp, nurse it through this winter with a repair if you can do it safely, and spend the summer negotiating!
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
    SuperTech
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,165
    Options
    Common problem with that boiler. Drainage issues can accelerate the death of many mod cons. That was a decent boiler in its day but there's better options available for replacement. 
    tigerdrvr
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    tigerdrvr said:
    Found water puddling under the boiler and upon inspection found a corroded hole next to the condensate drain. Boiler was installed in 2006 and is running 12 zone system and heat exchanger for domestic hot water. System is using glycol and I don't have any reason to believe there has been introduction of corrosive elements. There is a trap in the condensate drain piping. Not sure if the drain area is installed with a stainless steel cup. Any idea if WM is standing behind these expensive units? If not is it even worth trying to repair or am I looking at a replacement?
    If you have the CP#, you might be able to get a warranty if the client is the original owner. 
    That was a common issue with the Ultra and revisions have been made to the flue. Instead of stainless, it's now polypropylene, and they incorporated a pipe for the condensate to go directly into the drain rather than pool in the bottom of the HX.
    After 16 years though, what else can go wrong that might benefit upgrading to a Series 4.
    tigerdrvr
  • tigerdrvr
    tigerdrvr Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Any recommendations on a replacement unit when it comes to that?
  • Tim_D
    Tim_D Member Posts: 128
    Options
    That boiler was manufactured 7-03-07 and should have 20% left on the warranty. This means that you will get a 20% discount on the replacement heat exchanger. Call 1-800-654-2109.