Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Radiator's air vent is shooting out steam nonstop

Options
sskyxi
sskyxi Member Posts: 1
edited January 2022 in Strictly Steam
I have a steam radiator thats been working fine for a while until recently. The heat was shut off temporarily when workers came to fix an issue for another tenant and when it came back on, my steam radiator is shooting out steam from the air vent.

I've closed the radiator completely and tried to open it again a few times but I still run into the same issue. Even when I've closed the steam radiator I hear noises from it somewhat like a boiling sound. Is this something I can fix myself like replace the air vent, bleed the radiator, etc or do I need to call in a professional?

Forgot to add, we've kept the radiator half open for some time not knowing that they can only be fully opened or fully closed. What damage would this cause?

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    No long term damage, just open the valves all the way and call a professional since you have tenants. I’m assuming you have one pipe going to each radiator, correct?

Ask them when you call them what pressure they would set your pressuretrol to and if they say anything higher than 2psi then thank them, hang up, and call another one (the right answer is 1.5 psi).

PS: unless the workers were messing with the steam system (you were mysterious about the “issue” so we don’t know), this problem existed before they came, or was coincidental. The boiler is off every summer and several times per day unless it’s -10 degrees all day, after all.

PPS: it could be a failed air vent but my concern with just replacing it is that the failure was caused by too high pressure. Steam should never shoot out.

PPPS: there is no bleeding of steam radiators. Call a pro, use this site’s Find a Contractor
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    all of what Paul said,

are you also a tenant?
    or, the landlord?
    Do you have access to the boiler?
    and would you post pictures?
    known to beat dead horses
    ethicalpaul