Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

none stop hissing one rad, replaced with new vent but still hissing...what could be done to fix it??

LS123
LS123 Member Posts: 475
Good morning all!

Steam heating system... all the rads in main floor and second floor heats up including the rad on first floor (this Rad is on main floor has been hissing.) Replaced the steam vent for that rad with a new one and it still hiss and vent just a bit of steam (very little, I can see about couple of drops max water on the top of the steam vent. Rest of the rads, steam vents hiss for less than a minute, then stop (I can hear them click time to time. All the main vents are new, and they work a OK.

I wonder if this rad somehow retaining (some) condensate that should be returned back to the boiler. Rad is pitched to an angle that should drain out the water back to the return. Single pipe steam system.

Hissing start about one ounce of PSI, Max boiler PSI always no more than 0.5. ounce PSI.

What might be the issue? and what could be the fix?

Thank you!
\-LS123
Thank you!
@LS123

Comments

• LS123
    thank you.. will try that as well,,,,I did buy and put a new vent. and it still constantly hiss... I will check the pitch of the rad and see somehow lines to return needs adjustments....
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    There are such things as new defective vents. If you buy them at Home Depot you can't even be sure they're new.

If the radiator is pitched correctly, you might just be seeing some condensation forming in the vent. This usually happens when a radiator is in a room that tends to get cold between heating cycles, but the behavior doesn't exactly match what you're describing. It's more like a fizzling that happens whenever the heat comes on, but eventually it stops when the vent gets hot enough to close. It just seems to go on forever because the water makes the vent work slower. Also, when you replaced the vent, you would have seen a lot of water in the old vent, and the fizzling would have stopped for a while, until the new vent accumulated water.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • LS123
    hello @Hap_Hazzard , thank you! I did make sure that rad it set up for condensation to return to return, I checked the return pipe has not changed its position. I only observed few drops of water out of the both new and old steam vents, but when I re-ran the boiler to generate at 1/2 ounce of psi ( max)... it continues to hiss and would not stop... it is happening to only one rad out of 7. All pipes in basement are insulated... although it is hissing and vent, couple of drops of water, it continues to behave as mentioned. @Jamie Hall , @EdTheHeaterMan , any thoughts please? thank you all!
    Best
    \-LS123
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • LS123
    @Hap_Hazzard , by the way, the vent was brand new and was in sealed package... I know sometimes retail stores restock returned products... but the one I got was not unsealed packaging....
    Thank you!
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • LS123
    hi all... thank u all for your contributions... I noticed its a of air leak from the rad where steam vent is placed... when the PSI reached just below 1 PSI.... Air vent was reinstalled with some pipe dope megalock ( blue..) and no longer there is an air leak and vent works as its designed..... I will work to get the threads on the rad fixed later... now it works as designed... thank you again!
    best!
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    LS123 said:

@Hap_Hazzard , by the way, the vent was brand new and was in sealed package... I know sometimes retail stores restock returned products... but the one I got was not unsealed packaging....

Good. I'm glad you know what to look out for. I've seen vents that look like the customer returned the one they took off the radiator—and they just put it back on the shelf!
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • LS123
    Thank you @Hap_Hazzard !
    Thank you!
    @LS123