Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

5Psi single vent system and radiator valve change

Hi I have a 1vent steam system and noticed a lot of hissing and wet steam from my bathroom vent, so tried replacing the vent with an adjustable vent-rite air valve. The hissing has gone during heating cycles. However I did notice the psi goes to 5 during a heating cycle which I know is way too high. Previously though I never checked all the time, it stayed at 2. I think my ptrol is set correctly (see pic) - do I need to clean all valves and/or the main vent, or other advice? Thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,126
    Pressuretrol is set high. Where you have it set it will cutin at just above 2 -- maybe 3 even -- and cutout at 4 to 5. Try setting the cutin down to around 0.7 or so.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Steamheatnovice
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,092
    @Steamheatnovice

When you get a warmer day it would be a good idea to remove the pressure control and the pigtail and make sure the pigtail and piping connections into the boiler are clean and adjust the pressure control .....a little at a time. The scale on the pressure controls are not very accurate
    Steamheatnovice
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,756
    does the gage return to zero when the boiler is off between calls for heat ?
    and yeah, check the pigtail
    known to beat dead horses