Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

System losing water - could this be it?

bipbap
bipbap Member Posts: 191
 So I’ve been having issues with our 1-pipe steam system losing water.
 The only place I found is a spot where a vent is attached near the horizontal main in the basement.
  Steam comes out of NOT the vent itself, but the spot where the smaller pipe connects to the main, looks like photo (I wrapped a rag around that spot to absorb the drip).

So this connection has a steady stream of steam coming out of it when the system is running.
  Is this issue enough to cause a significant loss of water? Like an inch or two drop in the sight glass over a day or two of cold weather?
  Thanks to all who have shared advice on my other issues- I do have our steam guy coming Monday but trying to figure some things out before he comes so appreciate the advice of all you steam pros.

Comments

• bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 954
    edited January 2022
    Yes. There may be other leaks in the system as well. The stems of radiator valves are a common source, and hard to detect because the steam tends to evaporate immediately without leaving visible vapor.

Bburd
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,971
    A "steady stream" -- even a tiny one -- is more than adequate to account for you leaking. Even a drip can be enough for a gallon a day.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • bipbap
    edited January 2022
    Just curious- How do I know how much water my boiler holds total?
    like if the sight glass goes down an inch, how much lost water is that?
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    bipbap said:

Just curious- How do I know how much water my boiler holds total?
    like if the sight glass goes down an inch, how much lost water is that?

There should be a section in the installation and operating manual (IOM) called specifications and ratings or something like that. If you don't have the manual, give me the make & model and I'll try to look it up for you.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,180
    Or if you have a VXT, you could hold the manual fill switch until it filled to NWL level.
    Or until it showed one gallon added, to give you an idea.
  • bipbap
    Ok thank you, I’ll try that!