Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam

I have a house built in 1912, I have single pipe steam radiators, there is an issue with slope as I have very intense banging of the pipes, either way I need to open up some walls and replace all these pipes and have the slopes in the correct pitch, some radiators are spitting water etc. should I fix the current system or think about baseboard. Problem is I also want to open up my basement and move the boiler to an outside wall rather then middle of basement. Final question is baseboard better then steam or no? 

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,087
    You are jumping to conclusions,  that are not necessarily accurate. There are numerous potential causes of the above mentioned symptoms. 
    delcrossv
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,971
    Find the banging pipes and reptich them -- that's usually not all that hard.

Baseboards work. Are they better than nice steam radiators? I don't think so. Some might. However, the switch is going to be very very expensive. That said, if you set on moving the boiler, that's not going to be cheap either...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    cross_skier
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,025
    Steam Doctor and Jamie are right on.

Find a competent contractor. The guys on this web site can steer you and there is a place to "find a contractor".