Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Alpine boiler Soft Lockout code 14 (high delta T) help?

Options
softlockout
softlockout Member Posts: 3
edited January 2022 in Gas Heating
I should preface this by saying I'm a new homeowner/noob with only a rudimentary knowledge of how the heating system works. I did search this forum first and found a few similar posts but no resolutions.

I have a ~6 month old Alpine condensing boiler + HTP water storage tank, with one heating zone of hot water baseboard heat. 1000sf house. This is the first cold season that the new system has been really in use, as we had it installed in the spring. Today is the coldest day of the year, (-1F, with windchills to -10) and a few hours ago we found the display red, with an error code of "High Delta T inlet/outlet" error code 14. The display also said the boiler was in soft lockout mode. There is a sensor installed on the side of the house.

After several minutes, the system seemed to reset itself and start working again. We did place a call to the installer/servicer, but in the meantime I'm trying to better understand what could have caused this, and is this just an expected thing that would happen during a really cold snap? The dishwasher was running at the time, did it have to do with too much call for hot water at once? Anything to be mindful of to prevent it from happening again (at least until we can get a pro out here?) As I mentioned this is a totally new system so all the parts are new.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    It is an indication of no/low flow or a bad sensor. How is your pressure? What is the boiler reading for inlet and outlet temps?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    How is it piped? It may not be getting adequate flow. Got some pictures? It may go to high fire at design conditions so it needs the amount of flow that the installation manual indicates.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    Probably some adjustment in one of the settings that the installer can fix. The error code would indicate low water flow in relation to the gas input
  • softlockout
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Thanks for the input, it's really appreciated. I am taking more pics of the actual setup, but in the meantime I don't know if these answer some of the pressure/temp questions? it's currently in standby mode since the house is at the set temp so I'm not sure if this was a bad time to take a pic.
  • softlockout
    Options