Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old two pipe Steam Clicking when turned off

Hi there,

I posted lasted month for help with a rad in another room and it was incredibly helpful.

I'm having a new issue thats starting with another rad in my bathroom.
It's constantly clicking for hours on end day and night.
I never have this rad turned on.
The bottom of the supply pipe is warm/hot despite being turned off.

any ideas?

video link attached. The rad is turned off in this video.

thanks

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6eUM25CrJnc&feature=youtu.be

Comments

• chrissnr
    chrissnr Member Posts: 9
    Also, its not great quality so the volume needs to be turned up. sorry.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,971
    That sounds more like expansion noises than anything else. I'm not at all surprised that the supply gets warm; some steam is bound to get in there. Not much, but enough. Does the radiator itself get warm at all, despite being turned off? That might indicate that the valve isn't closing fully.

The first place I'd go looking for expansion noise is where the supply comes through the wall, and then look further back along that pipe. Another possibility is that that pipe is expanding lengthwise just enough to shift the radiator slightly on its fastenings (it wouldn't be enough to see),.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    chrissnr
  • chrissnr
    chrissnr Member Posts: 9
    Hey Jamie,
    the radiator itself doesn't get warm.

I just noticed that if I grab hold of the trap on the bottom left of the radiator and put force on it, pulling it towards me - the sound stops.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,971
    Great! Now the next trick is to figure out what it's hitting or rubbing against, and holding it so it won't.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    chrissnr