Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Chemical Water Quality in condensing boiler ?

Roohollah
Roohollah Member Posts: 135
Dear Friends,

To start with , I would like to wish you all a very Happy New year and hope that it will be your dream year to begin .

I have recently worked on a floor standing Condensing boiler which is installed for a year . It works well apparently . for the start , I controlled the chemical water which circulates through the boiler . The PH is 8.5 and TDS 225 ppm . As I have read many of your stories here about chemical quality of water in Hydronic systems , this question came to my mind that what are the proper of PH . TH , and TDS or other chemical elements of water in condensing boiler which have less harm on the boiler ?

As always , thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences which are valuable a lot to me .

Happy 2022 to you all ,

Sincerely,

Roohollah,

Comments

• flat_twin
    flat_twin Member Posts: 350
    The manual for your boiler will likely have the specs you're looking for. Search online if you don't have the printed manual that came with the boiler.
  • TomS
    TomS Member Posts: 62
    Yes, your manual should show the water quality required. For example my Knight Lochinvar lists two requirements: hardness less than 7 grains (120ppm), and a chlorine level less than 200 ppm.
    Roohollah
  • Roohollah
    Thank you for the posts . Unfortunately, the previous service company took them put and there is not on the site . Also, I communicated with the company which assembles the boiler screwed me up . Thus , I would like to ask you guys that the ideal range of important chemical elements of water in condensing boiler.

Thanks a gazillion for your support,

Stay safe,
    Roohollah,
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    In the absence of specific suggestions from the manufacturer, the most important spec. is chlorides and chlorine, as @TonyS mentioned (the two are different). pH is less important, so long as it is somewhere between about 6.5 or 7 and say 10 or so.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Roohollah
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,524
    Check the new ANSI Standard H 1001.1 or the VDI 2035
    For products that will assits/ help maintain the Reinheitsgebot for Hydronic system fluid check out innovativehydronics.net
    Roohollah
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,524

In the absence of specific suggestions from the manufacturer, the most important spec. is chlorides and chlorine, as @TonyS mentioned (the two are different). pH is less important, so long as it is somewhere between about 6.5 or 7 and say 10 or so.

Jamie...I Agree on the Chlorides and Chlorine
    IMO 6.5 is way to low ...
    But then again O2 level are also a factor that needs to be considered
    You could have a low PH with very low O2 levels and you system >>could<< be Okay.
    With all the different materials that are present in modern Hydronic heating systems we like to be somewhere between 8.2 and 10...
    Personally we hit a "homerun" when the system is balanced between 8.2 and 8.4

To double back on the Chlorides... If a professional Heating contractor is doing the proper thing he is either using at least 20% Glycol in conjunction with Deionized water..
    OR
    He is using "High Purity" water(Deionized Water)
    In both cases no Chlorides or other harmful minerals should be present. :)
    Roohollah
  • Roohollah
    Right . That was very kind of you all . Thank you . The standard number which you introduced will help me too.

stay safe,

Roohollah
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    A kit like this is a hood investment. I added the link so you can see the description of what is included. It is a global company, you should be able to source this kit
    Happy new year

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Adey-CP1-03-03189-Engineers-Water-Test-Kit?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_7vcmu2g9QIVzGxvBB2j0wm-EAQYASABEgImhfD_BwE
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Roohollah
  • Roohollah
    Thank you for the link . it helps me so much to know the amount of those critical parameters of the heating water.

Stay safe ,

Roohollah,